25 Jan 2009

Obsessed with beets

I actually think I'm obsessed with beetroot! I eat it morning noon and night, pickled, boiled or mixed in cake, I love it! Imagine my delight when, a few month ago, the lovely Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall featured a recipe for beetroot brownies on his show River Cottage Autumn. I'd already accustomed myself to the beetroot chocolate relationship so it didn't come as much of a surprise to see the two living in such close proximity, but Hugh's recipe was so much simpler than the beetroot cake I usually make. I had to try it!

Not only was this incarnation much easier to produce but it was so much tastier too. I had to bake my brownies for a bit longer than Hugh recommends as the tray I used was slightly smaller than the one in the recipe but they were so moist and, well, I can't even describe the taste, you'll just have to try them for yourself. Trust me, you won't be sorry.

They were so tasty, I even had to half a square with my cat, Marmalade. By the look on his face, I think he enjoyed it :)

You can find the recipe for Chocolate Beetroot Brownies here.

5 comments:

Margaret said...

You really, really love beetroot that much!
I have seen other food bloggers making cakes with beetroot but haven't managed to try this myself yet. I'm now thinking it's time to follow the crowd!

Antonia G said...

Here's a website you should enjoy - www.lovebeetroot.co.uk (the name says it all, really!).

Jules said...

When I baked these I also found I had to bake them for quite a bit longer, but they were certainly worth the wait!

Natashya said...

I have a big bag of beets in my fridge that were on sale - I am a bit obsessed this year too..
Thanks for the great ideas on how to use some of them!

Abby said...

Beetroot is a new one on me, but I'm curious about it now! The brownies look fabulous.