photo m

Pages

1 Feb 2009

101 apologies


I feel I owe Amazon.com a letter of apology. A few weeks ago, in a fit of boredom, I ordered a small selection of those 101 bla bla cookbooks from the BBC Good Food line from our favorite Internet superstore. A week later I was getting a little aggravated at the lack of packages dropping upon my doormat, but as I'm sure you all know, Amazon are shockingly slow when you opt for the free delivery they now offer, so I decided to give it a few more days. Another week later, nothing had arrived! As a friends hen night is coming up, I decided to beat all the other girls to the punch (the theme is purple and I could see me turning up in a dress everyone else had decided to buy) and purchase my dress a month early, feeling saucy I even forked out a bit extra for next day delivery. The next morning the postman arrived before the birds had even started tweeting, and on a Saturday of all days, so of course I slept through his gentle rapping upon my door. I awoke to a 'Sorry we missed you' note, a bill from BT and no cookbooks. This was the straw that broke the camels back, so to say, and I started on an angry email to Amazon demanding my money back. Hell hath no fury like a woman robbed of her cookbooks!

Monday finally rolled around and I took a detour to the post office on my way to work. When I eventually received my package, after arguing that Katie is short for Catherine and I wasn't trying to rob an innocent girls package I saw a small Amazon package was strapped to the huge bag. Uh oh. Indeed it was my cookbooks and it was the fault of the damned Royal Mail and not the poor people from Amazons fault. It seems my package was to large for the letter box and taken back to the sorting office without my knowledge. How very annoying!

But, I got my books so everything worked out. For me, anyway. To calm my annoyance at the bloody postal service I set about making a Cinnamon Nutella Cake from the book 101 Cakes and Bakes. This was probably the easiest cake I have ever made, I could probably even trust my Kris to prepare it without setting the kitchen alight. Throw everything in a bowl, mix and bake! Easier than a box, even! Not only is it quick and easy, it's also a delight to eat. A beautiful wintery cake, perfect with a cup of tea and a nice afternoon film.

The recipe is also available online at BBC Good Food

I omitted the nuts as Kris won't have anything to do with them, silly sod!

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

3 comments:

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Mmm, I've seen that recipe but may have to bump it up the list now.

Anne said...

Sounds delicious!

I hate waiting for parcels, I live in a small block of private flats and one postman will leave on the step for me, which is great but the other makes me trudge down the sorting office, in the opposite direction to collect my goodies!

Amazon can be naughty though, had a few arguments over the years with them!

(!)(,")(!) said...

Oh wow this sounds fab! Ive been looking for a cake to bake for my birthday in a few weeks and this may just have to be the one.. I think I will give it a test run tonight - Thanks for opening my eyes to baking with Nutella! Yum!

Tiff x