photo m

Pages

1 Feb 2009

Bundt Cake Bliss


My new favorite cook book is one that has been sitting on my shelf, untouched for months; Bundt Cake Bliss. This wonderful book escaped my attention for so long due to the fact it contains no pictures (I'm a massive child at heart), and I do believe that all cookbooks should contain at least a few mouth watering images; it gives us something to aim for, something to compare our results. Despite its lack of visual aids this book is a dream to read. Starting with the history of the bundt before explaining all you need to know about preparing the tin and baking these unusual cakes all wrapped up in a delightful 50's style package. But despite it's aesthetic appeal, this poor gem has sat gathering dust till Kris dragged me on a shopping trip to search for some black photo frames for the studio's ever depleting stock.

I'm not sure if TK Maxx is a nationwide store, but if it is, I would certainly recommend it to you, dear reader. It's a veritable treasure trove of kitcheny goodness and not only that, but it's oh so cheap! (I picked up a 4 pack of Lindt 70% chocolate for £2.50, that's reason enough to go!!) It's always my first stop for cake tins and such, perfect credit crunch shopping. While Kris was digging through the mountain of photo frames the store carries, I was left to browse the kitchenware department without the reluctant sighs of my lovely fiance, hurrah! Elbows deep in cake tins of all sizes, I discovered something I not only didn't own, but desperately wanted, a bundt tin. Not only this, but the base unit, which I had no intention of using, was severely dented allowing me to wangle and extra 25% off the already low low price. Happy and content I trotted home with my £2.99 bargain under my arm.

As I mentioned before, the credit crunch is having a major effect on every ones life in good old England. Because of this, trips into Newcastle's famous nightlife have pretty much ground to a halt, I'm lucky if I get out once a month these days. Not to let the lack of available funds get me down I dragged our very best friends to indulge in a night of baking and a mass of pear cider we recently acquired from Ikea. Who needs to go out when you have a lovely warm house and enough booze to sink a small ship?! Obviously, the girls baked while the boys shot each other on the Xbox before settling down to munch on our drunken efforts. And, they weren't half bad, considering....

If we neglect the hideous, quasimodo-esqe bulge I was forced to trim from the base that is ;)

Recipe adapted from Bundt Cake Bliss!
Cake:

400g caster sugar
375g plain flour
225g unsalted butter
225g milk
4 eggs, beaten
2tsp baking powder
zest of 3 lemons

Glaze:

1tbsp juice from a lemon
around 150g icing sugar (I didn't bother measuring, just threw it in a bowl and got to it)


Preheat oven to 180C/160C gas then prepare your bundt tin with butter and flour. Cream butter, sugar and lemon zest till light and creamy.

Add eggs one at a time beating hard after each addition, be careful not to let the mixture curdle.

Alternate the flour, baking powder and milk a little at a time mixing after each addition till just combined.

Spoon mixture into tin and level with the back of a teaspoon. Bake in the preheated oven for 1hr/1hr 10 mins or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.

Allow to sit in tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack and leave till completely cool then drizzle over the glaze and dust with a light sprinkling of icing sugar.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

5 comments:

Margaret said...

TK Maxx is cake tin heaven! I too picked up a bundt cake tin but have yet to use it, due to the size of the cake it produces!
The bundt cake looks lovely.

ginger@dinnerdiary.org said...

I love T K Maxx, we get a lot of stuff from there as it's often so different. I think a lot of it is shipped in from America.

I've seen a few people using this style of tin lately, it looks great!

Natashya said...

Good score on your new tin!
I can't believe you can get booze from Ikea! Ontario is so dry... the province has a monopoly over where we can buy alcohol. (and at what inflated price!)
I have this book on my wishlist - but was wondering if many of the recipes start with a box mix? That is a pet peeve of mine - I have found that to be the case with the Nordic Ware Bundt recipe books that I have purchased.
What are your findings?

Katiecakes said...

Yeah, loads of different kinds, it has a really good and unusual selection! The pear cider is divine!

I know what you mean, quite a few of the recipes cal for a boxed mix and a box of pudding mix which, not being from that side of the ocean, I have no idea what it is?!

I'd say it's about 40% recipes using boxed and 60% from scratch.

I hate it too, if I was going to use a pre made mix I wouldn't be buying a recipe book ;)

Katie xox

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

I LOVE TK Maxx but I end up buying stuff we just don't need - not good!