photo m

Pages

8 Feb 2009

Cottage or Shepards?


I can never remember the difference between a Cottage and a Shepard's Pie. I know one is made with lamb and one with beef but for the life of me I can never remember which is which. As I prefer the name Cottage Pie, that's what I choose to call the one I made today. Yep! To hell with convention!

Today was a pretty normal Sunday, lie in, visit to the local farm shop, nip into a boot sale on the way home. Quite a nice way to spend a day, there was just one difference, we weren't hungover. I think we're finally beginning to grow up. Hurrah! One thing I never realised is how cheap farm shops can be, I always had them pegged for expensive but that's just down to the sheer amount of stuff I buy :D I just wish it was a little closer. One thing I noticed was their 'BBQ in a Box' deal, I've stored that one away for Kris' birthday in June. A huge box filled with 1kg of your choice of Sausage, 10 Mixed Burgers, 10 Kofta Kebabs, 1 kg Rump Steak, 1kg Chicken Fillets, 10 Pork Spare Ribs. Perfect for a bunch of greedy boys and girls :D

I decided to put some of the massive potatoes, carrots and onions I bought to good use today and make a warming Cottage Pie (or whichever it really is). Normally I'd add some mashed turnip to the potato but Kris' face turned a fetching shade of green when I mentioned it so I just mashed a small amount and stuck it on the side of my plate. I'll convert him, one day.

Cottage (?!) Pie

2tbsp Vegetable Oil
500g Minced Lamb
2 Large Carrots, diced
1 Large Onion, diced
1 Clove of Garlic
300ml Beef Stock
Glug of Worcester Sauce
1tbsp Tomato Puree
350g Potato
Glug of Milk
Knob of Butter
50g Grated Cheese
Pinch of Nutmeg
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the mince, turn up the heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring until browned. Add the tomato puree, cook for 1 minute, then pour in the stock, Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover and cook for 5-10 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Season, then spoon into a 2-2.5-litre ovenproof dish.

For the mash, cut the potatoes into medium-size chunks and put into a large pan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and return to the pan to heat for 30 seconds to drive off the excess moisture. Mash with the milk and nutmeg. Season and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 180C/fan160C/gas 4.

Spoon the mash onto the mince. Rough up with a fork and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake for 25 minutes, until the mash is golden and crisp in places.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

4 comments:

Michelle said...

You're killing me and you live too far away for me to take a bite!

I just give you an award!

http://bigblackdogs.blogspot.com/2009/02/very-belated-thank-yous.html

Peter M said...

Cottage is beef, lamb is Shep...yours - delish!

Antonia said...

One of my absolute favourites! Best way to remember it is that Shepherds look after sheep, therefore shepherds pie is made with lamb.
Your version looks absolutely delicious and I'd love some right now.

Anne said...

Lol I remember it the same way as Antonia has said!

Looks delicious :)