12 Mar 2009

The cake that almost killed me!

My latest project was, at first, seemingly simple. The pictures, the directions, all straight forward and perfectly documented. Once I began the process I saw I may have bitten off more than I could chew. Luckily it all worked out and the finished cake turned out fabulous, but the time and effort involved was massive! I would now like to introduce my 14 layer cake.

It may not look too impressive from the outside, in fact it kinda resembles Bruce Bogtrotter's cake from Matilda. However once you cut it open and reveal all those little layers, the wow factor takes over and you're filled with an overwhelming sense of pride.


As much as it was a hard graft, I really enjoyed baking this masterpiece. The process wasn't actually too difficult, just time consuming and a little hectic. If you were to attempt this, I recommend you follow Bakerella's advice and use 14 disposable baking pans, rather than just buying 4 and washing your trusty springforms between each layer, like I did. I'm covered in little burns and my kitchen hasn't quite recovered, but boy was it worth it.


Thank you Bakerella, for such wonderful inspiration and detailing it in such an easy to follow manner :)

6 comments:

Margaret said...

I am very impressed with this cake project and must now take a look at how you achieved this!

Anne said...

That cake looks great Katie so worth the effort! 14 layers is a great achievement and must have been a mission! :)

Natashya said...

Hee, hee, Bruce Bogtrotter. Your sweat and blood went into this cake?! (I might just know this movie off by heart..)
It looks so decadent and impressive! I have never attempted anything like it - bravo for mastering such an intense cake.

Maria♥ said...

Wow oh wow 14 layers!!! It looks amazing though and really delish!

Maria
x

Crazy About Cakes said...

Great Job on the 14 layer cake! I saw this on Bakerella's site, and have been wanting to make it since. You are much more daring than I. Looks awesome!

Mermaid Sweets said...

Great job! I want to make this too - but wary of the process.