photo m

Pages

23 Mar 2009

Cupcake extravoganza!

For reasons I am not yet at liberty to disclose (it will all become clear very soon), Sundays on my calendar are now simply cupcake tasting days. Every Saturday a good friend and I whip up a few batches of our favorite cakes before convening over a pot of tea on a Sunday afternoon to try our lovingly crafted baked goods. Sundays are now my favorite day of the week.



The Marshmallow cupcakes are from the wonderful Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook which I picked up a few weeks ago. I've used this book tonnes since I bought it, best £17.00 I ever spent :)


Chocolate chip cupcakes with a peppermint cream cheese frosting with a Plain Jane vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream. I based the recipe for these on the Oreo cupcakes I made a few weeks ago.


And last of all a chocolate custard cupcake which I saw on Anne's Kitchen a while ago. I wasn't to impressed with this one, it was a bit of a faff to make and they came out rather dry. I probably baked them too long, they certainly didn't come out as pretty as Anne's *jealous*

Also, I'm very excited to add that my red velvet cupcakes (which I forgot to photograph, d'oh) shall be featured as wedding favors at my best friends wedding. Not only that, but they will be served in one of Newcastle's best restaurants, Jesmond Dene House. I'm ecstatic and also very jealous that my darling Georgia is getting married in such an exquisite venue.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

11 comments:

Anne said...

Hi Katie - They all look great, though I would persist and maybe take the choc muffins out earlier next time as my batch came out quite moist, think depends on ovens though as I have a fan assisted (aka baking cremator!) and reduced the temperature by quite a bit! I do have to agree a little faffy for first attempt but following batches seem to be much easier :)

Anne
x

Katiecakes said...

Yeah, mine is fan assisted too. It's a total nightmare to work with as the seal on the door is broken and allows heat leakage :S

I think I'll give them another go, they had the potential to be delish. Silly oven!

Katie xox

georgiaface said...

I have signed up to this blogger thing to say this, and this alone.

I am possibly looking forward to more red velvet cupcakes more than I am getting married.

Holler said...

Those cupcakes look amazing Katie! No wonder Sunday is your favourite day of the week. I am very, very jealous of your little tasting sessions.

Ingrid said...

How lucky to have a friend to bake with! I'm jealous!

Your cuppies are lovely.

I'm off to read why that cake almost killed ya.
~ingrid

Mermaid Sweets said...

Just found your blog, love it, beautiful photos. Funny, I just started a Sunday baking (blog) group to help me like Sundays!

Natashya said...

Cupcake tasting day! Sounds great to me.
I love the photos, and the adorable borders around them.

Holler said...

OK, it is Sunday again Katie, so I am dying to see what you have made today :)

Flourchild said...

Very cute cupcakes. I see you joined Sweet Melissas SUnday..so did I. I think it's going to be a fun group!

Maria♥ said...

I had this book on pre-order and amazon sold out quick, so now I'm having to wait till middle of April!! I was so dissapointed but at least you have given me a preview and I can't wait.

Your cupcakes look adorable.

Maria
x

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home said...

Hi Katie. I love your blog. Everything here looks so yummy!