photo m

Pages

3 Mar 2009

Passionate for passion fruit!

I'd like to say I devised this recipe souly for In The Bag, but in reality I saw a similar muffin for sale in Waitrose a few month ago and the thought has just stayed with me. When I saw passion fruit and white chocolate on the menu for the month of love I knew it was time to make my banana and white chocolate muffins with a passion fruit cream cheese frosting.


I used a basic vanilla cupcake recipe for the flour/sugar/butter measurements and just threw caution to the wind and bunged the rest of the stuff into the batter. They didn't rise as much as I had hoped (I have illusions of me chopping off the peak and sandwiching it back together with the frosting, oh well) but they were still tasty good! The flavors really complimented each other while the chocolate added a well needed bite. The one thing I felt needed changing was the frosting, rather than just popping the seeds on top I think I'll stir them through.

Recipe:

120g plain flour
140g caster sugar
1tbsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
80g unsalted butter
120ml whole milk
2 eggs
120g peeled banana, mashed
a small handful of white chocolate chunks

Frosting:

125g cream cheese, cold
pulp from 4 passion fruits
300g icing sugar
50g unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 170C

Put all of the dry ingredients into a bowl and add the butter. Beat together till you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.

Slowly add the milk, beating well till ingredients are well mixed. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.

Stir in the mashed banana and chocolate by hand, do not over mix.

Spoon the batter into cupcake cases and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until the cakes are light golden and spring back when touched. Leave the cakes to cool slightly before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.

While cooling make the frosting. Beat the butter and sugar together until the mixture comes together and is well mixed. Add the cream cheese and beat till fully Incorporated. Continue beating for around 5 minutes, or until the frosting is light and fluffy. Take care not to over beat as it can quickly become runny. Once the right consistency has been reached, add the passion fruit puree and stir through.

Once the cakes are cool, spoon on the frosting and leave to set.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

4 comments:

Holler said...

What a great idea Katie! I love the thought of bananas in muffins. The white chocolate and passion fruit are an added bonus :)

Natashya said...

Sounds lovely! I haven't tried passionfruit, I don't see them much in small town Canada. All frostings should be cream cheese based, as far as I am concerned!

applecrumbles said...

Looks wonderful. Good idea.

Occasional Martha said...

Mmmm! Those look SO Yummy!