3 Apr 2009

Belated Mothers Day Post

I know, I know. I'm a few weeks late, but it's been a very busy few weeks. Working through my dissertation for university and trying to be good emotional support for my very best friend who is due to be wed in the morning all while attempting to juggle a hectic social life. I thrive on stress, what can I say!

This year Kris and I were a little impoverished (opening a business can be a big drain on your resources) so we thought it would be a nice idea to make our dear mothers something sweet. Kris opted for a lovely carrot cake from the Hummingbird book while I decided upon a huge passion cake filled with walnuts, pineapple and carrot!


We were both delighted with how our cakes turned out and they were certainly received well. It felt so much nicer to give my mam something I'd spent a lot time and effort upon, much better than the usual bouquet of flowers or box of chocolates. Although, she got a pretty bunch of flowers with the cake, as well as a lovely picture of my brothers and myself taken by my wonderfully talented boyfriend in Bigface Studio. ;)

You can find the recipe for the passion cake right here. I baked mine in a 22" tin before covering the cake in a vanilla cream cheese frosting and adding a layer of chopped nuts.

4 comments:

Mermaid Sweets said...

Looks great, love the piping on the edges. What a great mother's day idea - ours is coming up next month ...

Flourchild said...

What a sweet and darling looking cake. Great edges too! Im sure this tasted wonderful.

Holler said...

Looks lovely and a very nice gift indeed :)

Maria♥ said...

Gorgeous looking cake and perfect for Mother's Day!

Maria
x