19 Apr 2009

Caramel Apple Turnovers with Sweet Ricotta Filling

Wowsers! This really is something I would never have picked out of this book if left to my own devices but I sure am glad someone else had the amazing sense too. That someone is Tracy of the fabulous blog Tracy's Culinary Adventures . I love these turnovers, they were so unbelievably simple to make and they make for a killer breakfast!!


Like the recipe stated, I drained the ricotta 24 hours in advance but when I awoke the following morning, there was no excess moisture in the bowl. How odd, I thought, so proceeded to squeeze my cheese cloth till a little of the water dribbled out. I left the bowl a satisfied woman. The apples were also super easy, I've never made caramel before but found it quite an easy process, even leaving it to catch a little bit of Scrubs on TV. I had to force myself to leave the caramelized apples alone at one point, it looks so delicious I was itching for a little spoon full.


They browned a little more than I would have liked but that's all down to my vanity and wanting to be washed and dried for my boy coming home from work. They toasted up a little while I was soaping myself in the bath, ooops. Although I really enjoyed these turnovers I think I'd prefer something in place of the ricotta, maybe a mascarpone based filling would be nice. I just think it needs to be a little creamier, maybe that's just me.


I will definitely make these again, so easy, so tasty, so satisfying. Check out the Sweet Melissa Sunday blogroll for everyone else's attempts :)

24 comments:

Anne said...

They look so delicious, golden and puffy! Do like the idea of mascarpone instead of the ricotta, prefer the naughty creaminess!

Cristine said...

They look so yummy! And I love how you were able to catch some TV and spruce yourself up all while making these! Talk about multi-tasking! :)

Megan said...

Mascarpone would be an excellent addition to these - what a fabulous idea!

I never would have picked these either, so it's a good thing someone else did!

Stephanie said...

Yours look very very nice! I agree - this is not a recipe I would have chosen on my own - But I am glad someone chose it, it was very fun and the result was tasty!!

Jessica said...

I love the idea of using mascarpone in place of the ricotta -- I bet that would be so delicious. I want to make these again with peaches this summer. Peaches & mascarpone? I think that would be such a great combo! Your turnovers look delightful!

Natashya said...

They look great! I loved these too, although mine got pretty dark after 35 minutes.

n.o.e said...

Look how pretty your turnovers look! And I'm glad you found them easy and delicious. I thought they were a but fussy, but my people liked them, so it was worthwhile. Pretty pictures!
Nancy

Flourchild said...

Great looking turnovers. Im so glad you liked them . I thought they were very good too!

Fit Chick said...

Nice looking turnovers!!! Yes, these were so good, will make again.

The Bahens said...

So far, I haven't heard of anyone actually getting any liquid out of their ricotta! How funny. I too have been thinking that maybe mascarpone would be tasty!

margot said...

Your turnovers look fantastic. I like the idea of mascarpone in them, which I will keep in mind 'cos I definitely want to make these again.

Elyse said...

Ooo, a marscarpone filling sounds totally divine. What a great idea! I would never have picked these either, but I was so glad Tracey did. I thought they were delicious. Yours look totally awesome!

pinkstripes said...

Mascarpone sounds like it would be wonderful.

Your turnovers look great. I'm glad they were a hit.

Ingrid said...

Yum, I've really enjoyed everyone's photos of these turn overs and I'm not usually one to eat cooked apples.
~ingrid

Michele said...

Katie-

I'm so happy that you enjoyed these; they look gorgeous!

HanaĆ¢ said...

Before using this recipe as an excuse to make homemade ricotta, I was actually thinking of "cheating" and using cream cheese instead. Not sure if that would have made it creamy. These turnovers were definitely fun to make. I like how yours turned out so puffy.

Emily said...

Wow! These look like something Nigella Lawson would make. Yum

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home said...

Hello. I have an award for you over at my site.

Pearl said...

hi there! i found your blog through another's and wanted to say hello after seeing the comments - i've never made apple turnovers or any turnovers for that matter, but the addition of sweet ricotta sounds like a great idea!

Emily said...

Mmm the turnovers look yummy!

Don't you know baking and bathing don't mix?! I have to tell myself that every day.

Holler said...

Those do look good! And such a gorgeous filling too.

Last time I made caramel, I burnt my tongue *sigh*

Mermaid Sweets said...

These look great. Sorry it has taken me so long to comment. Mine was a little browned too, seemed to have happened quicker than I would have liked. Mascarpone, that's a great idea.

Jaime said...

great job, they look fabulous!

Maria♥ said...

I adore turnovers and these sound and look heavenly!

Maria
x