10 Apr 2009

Mothers, who'd have them?

A few days ago I rang my mother to tell her I was making the Sundays With Melissa's Brooklyn Brownout Cake for Easter desert and not to bother buying anything. Rather than the 'oooh, how wonderful, thank you!' I was expecting she decided that she no longer likes chocolate cakes and couldn't I make a nice Simnel cake instead. Sigh!

Rather than bake a whole cake just to pacify my mum I decided to try a recipe featured in this months Asda magazine. I was amused by their novel approach to the simnel and I was dying to try it out, rather than baking one large cake in a tin they used 4 200g baked bean tins, empty of course. I rose early this morning, with this in mind, and whipped up a full english to surprise my slumbering man. He was over the moon that I'd gone to all the trouble of preparing his breakfast while I allowed him an extra hour in bed, little did he know I just needed the baked bean tins ;)



I started out with the full intention of making my own marzipan before reading I'd have to chill the dough for 24 hours before use. Luckily I bought a pack ready made for those 'just in case' moments I tend to have.

One thing I have to say about the tin can method is be careful when lining the tins!! I must have sliced my hands open about ten times, I'm covered in unicorn plasters and resemble Amy Winehouse after a fight with Blake. Ouch!



For fun and games I'll be entering my wee cakes into Julia of A Slice of Cherry Pie's Easter Cake Bake. I can't wait to see what everyone else has cooked up :)




Recipe:

115g unsalted butter
115g caster sugar plus extra for rolling-out
2 large free range eggs
125g self raising flour
125g Mixed dried fruit
75 glace cherries, quartered
550g pack of marzipan
4tbs no bits apricot jam
cocoa powder for dusting

Preheat the oven to 150/130 fan. Line the base and side of 4 baked bean tins with baking paper.

Cream the butter and sugar together till light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, if the mixture begins to curdle add a tbs of flour. Stir in the rest of the flour and all of the fruit.

Sprinkle a little caster sugar on your work surface and roll the marzipan to around 5mm thick. Cut out 4 rounds using an upturned bean tin. Divide half the cake mixture between the tins and place the marzipan rounds on top before covering with the rest of the batter.

Bake for 1hr 5 mins or untill a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean (min took about 10 minutes longer) Leave to cool in the tins for 15 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack to cool completely.

Trim the cakes with a sharp knife to level the tops. Cut 4 more marzipan rounds to fit the top of the cakes. Heat the jam and brush onto the top of each cake. Cover with the marzipan.

Make 44 mini balls with the remaining marzipan and put 11 balls, secured with apricot glaze, around the edge of each cake then dust with cocoa powder.

10 comments:

pinkstripes said...

They look wonderful. I love the way you decorated them. Happy Easter!

Jules said...

Fantastic cakes. I'm now determined to cook cakes in bean tins! Happy Easter.

Anne said...

They look so cute, feel sorry for your hands though, tin cuts hurt like hell! :)

Maria♥ said...

Katie, these are so CUTE!

Happy Easter ;o)

Maria
x

I heart cupcakes said...

These look adorable x

n.o.e said...

Wow, lucky people at your Easter dinner; simnel cakes AND brownout cake too! These cakes are absolutely the cutest thing. I'm making note of the recipe. And funny about the resemblance to Amy Winehouse!
Nancy

Elyse said...

Your Simnel look great!! Your mom sounds like such a riot. I've never thought about making my own marzipan. How interesting--how do you do it? I just love the look of these little Easter cakes. Fabulous!!

Ingrid said...

Those look fantastic! I hadn't heard of such a cake before reading Rosie's blog.

Mommy's are funny aren't they?!

Margaret said...

Lovely individual Simnel cakes, they look really pretty!

Snooky doodle said...

I fell in love with these. Your blog is so nice. I m a follower :)