photo m

Pages

16 May 2009

SMS: Guinness Gingerbread

At last, 7 weeks after Sweet Melissa Sunday began it's finally my turn to choose the weekly bakeathon, huzzah! The second I laid eyes upon this recipe I knew it had to be my choice, I'm a total sucker for anything ginger based and putting it together with chocolate and Guinness was just too much to resist. I know, I know, this recipe is much better suited to those chilly Winter months, but unlike the rest of the group I live in sunny England, in even sunnier Newcastle. Yes I am being sarcastic, it's done nothing but rain the past few days, but the rain has benefits and one of those is it's perfect weather for gingerbread. Yum!




This recipe came together perfectly (apart from when I dropped my ground ginger bottle in the flour mix, poofing it out everywhere...oooops) and filled my house with a beautiful Christmassy scent that I just can't get enough of. I subbed the molasses for black treacle, which I'm lead to believe is the same thing and rather than baking the gingerbread in a square pan, I opted to make it into lil cupcakes and smear them with vanilla butter cream. I would have much preferred to pipe a big swirl atop each cupcake but they came out so huge the swirl just looked all wrong, so I attacked it with my pallet knife. So much cuter and much easier to transport and distribute at work :) I will most definitely be making these again, absolutely delightful little mouthfuls of gingery (although not gingery enough for my tastes) goodness. Don't forget to check out the other SMS bakers for their wonderful attempts :)

Recipe:

2/3 cup of Guinness Stout
2 cups of plain flour
2 tbs of cocoa powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 large eggs
1/2 cup of caster sugar
1/3 cup of firmly packed dark brown sugar
2/3 cup of molasses (I used black treacle)
3/4 cup of vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and lightly butter and flour a 9x9x2 inch square pan.

In a medium saucepan, bring the beer to a simmer and remove from heat.

Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, ginger, white pepper and cinnamon into a medium bowl.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, brown sugar and molasses until smooth. Whisk in the oil to combine (I've just realised I forgot to add the oil, but the recipe didn't seem to suffer) Whisk in the dry ingredients in three batches alternating with the beer. (Dry, beer, dry, beer, dry.) Mix until just combined, do not over mix.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

31 comments:

Nancy/n.o.e said...

It's your pick, I say go for Christmas if that's what you want! I love gingerbread but there wasn't enough gingery spicy goodness in this. With the frosting I think it would be great!
Nancy

Maria♥ said...

Katie, these are simply adorable and I bet they taste absolutely divine!!

Maria
x

Jennifer said...

I'm not in England, but I sympathize with you on the rain. We have had so much, our local park looks like a swamp!

Thanks for the great pick. I really enjoyed this and thought it was really flavorful without being too strong. I did add some candied ginger in mine, so that gave it a bit more of a ginger-y punch.

Stephanie said...

Aw you did little cuppitycakes too? I did it that way, I love mini things :)

Thanks for picking this recipe, I really really enjoyed it!!

Jules said...

I love the sound and look of these. They look delicious.

Cristine said...

I'm in Germany and it has been cold and rainy for weeks! I am hoping for some sunshine soon! :)

Your cupcakes look great!

Tracey said...

Thanks for a great pick Katie! I really enjoyed the mellow flavors of this gingerbread. Your cupcakes look awesome. I love how beautifully domed they are!

Fit Chick said...

Totally agree with you, not gingery enough but very good with ice cream or frosting. Great pick, thank you.

Jessica said...

I didn't get a chance to make this (and that made me sad because I adore gingerbread) but I am definitely going to make them in the future. I think that you made a great pick. Those cupcakes are just adorable, too.

Kaitlin said...

Thanks for the pick, Katie! I find that during the summer months baking groups tend to pile on the fruit choices and so I actually appreciate a recipe that I can make with pantry items only.

Your cupcakes look so sweet - the icing and the little brown sprinkles really come alive in your photo!

Natashya said...

Delish! I love the cute little ginger bread guys sprinkles.

margot said...

I love them in cupcake form with frosting! Thanks for a yummy pick, it's nice to have gingerbread before the holidays.

Pamela said...

It's my first week baking with the group and I really enjoyed this recipe! Thank you so much!! And stay dry! :o)

pinkstripes said...

Your gingerbread cupcakes look amazing. I love the way you decorated them. Thanks for selecting this recipe, it was wonderful!

Megan said...

It was an excellent pick - so sorry I missed it. It's too hot here to think about a cool weather dessert, but I will make this up once the weather changes!

HanaĆ¢ said...

Your cupcakes look great!! Love the frosting on top, especially the little sprinkles. Makes them festive :o) Sorry I couldn't bake with you this week (busy week).

Aardvark Cakes said...

Great Choice Katie! Just perfect for a rainy day in Merseyside! Hx

Alwayzbakin said...

Good choice! Although I haven't tried it, it looks very good. And I love how you made them cupcakes!

karen said...

Cute idea with the cupcakes! Thanks for picking a winner!

Flourchild said...

Great looking cupcakes. Im sorry I had to miss this one. It got so busy around here I have not had much time to bake

Elyse said...

Katie, thank you for this awesome pick!! Your gingerbread cupcakes turned out beautifully!! I love how gorgeously they frosted up (I know, that's not a grammatically correct sentence...eek.) Thank you, thank you. I love the gingerbread! Sorry that I've been a bad commenter for the past couple of weeks; I just finished law school exams and am just now getting to my google reader!

Karin said...

I love your sprinkles! Thanks for picking such a great recipe- I brought the cake to my sister-in-law's last night for dinner and everyone loved it...

The Bahens said...

I bet they were so delicious covered in vanilla buttercream! Thanks for picking a great recipe!

Cate said...

Yum! They look sinfully good!

Hannah said...

These sound so good!

Mermaid Sweets said...

I loved this recipe, and my co-workers loved the cupcakes. Love that you made cuppies too. They look so cute.

Stephy said...

I just made these cupcakes the other day for a group of friends. They were well liked by all, especially as a midnight snack during finals week.

Ingrid said...

Those both sound and look yummy! Good choice!

Oh, and I love the mound of frosting!
~ingrid

Michele said...

Great recipe choice! I really enjoyed the gingerbread.

♥Rosie♥ said...

Oh what a great choice Katie! I really like the look and sound of these gorgeous cupcakes!

PheMom said...

They look so perfect and cute!