9 May 2009

SMS: Lemon Ice Box Cake

When I read the name of this weeks Sweet Melissa Sunday's bake I was more than intrigued. I've never tried an ice box cake, never mind made one. My curiosity was doubled when I read the recipe through and realised it was shockingly similar to the Lemon Meringue Pie recipe I love so much, only rather than being baked, it's frozen. How delightfully odd. This one's all down to the lovely Jennifer of Keep Passing Open Windows. Excellent choice Jennifer, kudos ;)


As I've missed the last two Sweet Melissa Sundays I was dying to get back into the swing of things and dove head first into the kitchen clutching a huge bag of lemons! But, being one of the only English bakers in the group, I encountered a few problems, Vanilla Wafers being the first! What on Earth are Vanilla Wafers, cookies, wafers, big, small? Eeeeep, a little digging told me they're small vanilla flavoured cookies but unfortunately, I couldn't find anything similar in the supermarkets here so I decided to use a tried and tested replacement for Graham Crackers instead, Hob Nobs. The second problem appeared to be one several of the SMS bakers encountered, waiting for the lemon custard to turn thick and fluffy. I whisked, whisked and whisked some more but it just didn't seem to change. After about 20 minutes, I gave up and folded in the egg whites regardless. Not that it seemed to matter much, the cake turned out beautifully and was exactly what I expected, a frozen lemon meringue pie. Nom!



I wasn't a fan of the Strawberry sauce when paired with the cake, wonderful on its own but I don't like anything to taint the flavour of lemon. Not in my house!

As usual, take a peak at the wonderful, beautiful SMS bakers to see what they came up with!


As you can see from the above picture, when removing the base of the cake tin and greaseproof paper I lost half of the brown layer of meringue. But, I actually preferred the cake with the snowy white topping, I thought it looked much more appetising :)

18 comments:

Cristine said...

YES! Frozen lemon meringue pie. Why couldn't I figure that out? HEE HEE! I couldn't put my finger on what it reminded me of! :)

Your cake looks great!

PheMom said...

I really, really like how yours turned out! Very pretty!

Holler said...

Wow, that looks amazing! Imagine that, a frozen lemon meringue pie :)

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I am in total agreement with you about the strawberry sauce. It hijacked the lemon flavor. But it's pretty in the pictures, right? I adore HobNobs; we can get them here, but I usually bring back a caseful when I return from visits to the UK! Looking forward to your pick next week!!
Nancy

karen said...

Yours looks amazing! Now I'm glad i didnt have strawberries.

margot said...

Your cake turned out beautiful; it's always nice to get back to baking after a short hiatus. My lemon custard never got fluffy either, I had to throw in the towel after about twenty minutes too.

Mermaid Sweets said...

You are such a trooper for baking with us Americans. Your cake looks gorgeous. I will have to make this someday, everyone seemed to like it.

Katie said...

Sounds wonderful. I have never tried frozen lemon meringue pie but it sounds perfect for a hot summery day

Natashya said...

It looks so tasty, Katie! Great job.

pinkstripes said...

Your cake looks gorgeous!! I'm glad it was a success for you.

Fit Chick said...

Katie great job!!! Looks delicious.

Maria♥ said...

Wow, this looks so delish and the perfect summer dessert!

Maria
x

Jaime said...

i'm sorry i missed this recipe but yours looks great

Ingrid said...

Katie that first photo is fantastic!! I want that slice. I'm okay with the strawberry sauce.
~ingrid

Tracey said...

I had to skip this recipe but your cake looks spectacular! It's so tall! I can't wait to try this later this summer.

Michele said...

Your cake is just gorgeous!

♥Rosie♥ said...

Lemon pie oh my goodness just a perfect choice for this time of year!

How To Be Perfect said...

Yum Yum Yum! I think I'm going to have to try this one x