20 Jun 2009

Double Trouble

At long last, I'm back. Three weeks off from the wonderful Sweet Melissa Sunday baking group has been far far too long. As most of you know, I've recently been in hospital for some intrusive abdominal surgery and was advised by the doctor to take it easy for a few weeks. Boredom has finally gotten the better of me and the lure of my kitchen was just proving too much to resist so here I am ready to get stuck back in!

After reading every ones fantastic review of last weeks cookies I just couldn't bring myself to miss them out so I thought I'd do a double post for my return. Chocolate chip cookies and butterscotch cashew bars, sweet treats a plenty. First of all, I'd like to thank Melissa from one of my favorite blogs Lulu the Baker for being kind enough to send out two bags of Nestle butterscotch chips and a box of peanut butter Whoppers just so I could partake in this weeks challenge (ok the whoppers weren't for the recipe, they were just for me, yum!). I was over the moon when I opened the door to a sweet treat bearing postman. One whole bag went into my butterscotch topping and the other will be kept aside for something extra special. Thank you so much Melissa, you made me a very happy Katie :)


The cookies were so super easy, even if a little time consuming, to make. I say time consuming, I mean I'm far to impatient to allow things time to chill. Everyone that came into contact with these lovely morsels simply couldn't stop at just one. I was planning on sending a few to Sunday night band practice with Kris but alas, I have only one solitary cookie left......although not for much longer. Mwahaha! If you want to give these chewy numbers a try the recipe is on the Sweet Melissa Sundays site. (It was chosen by the one and only Sweet Melissa herself, wowsers)

Next up we have Butterscotch Cashew Bars as chosen by Pamela of the lovely blog Cookies With Boys. I thought these bars would be a lot more difficult to make than they were, mix, press, melt, pour, done. Wonderful! I only topped half of mine with the cashew nuts as most of the people I know hate anything nutty. No doubt the crunchier side will be nommed by me and myself while the plain side will be enjoyed by the extended family this fathers day. I also used half light and half dark brown sugar in the base which gave the biscuit a lovely caramel flavour.


Have a mosey over to the Sweet Melissa Sundays ladies for their butterscotchy treats!

17 comments:

pinkstripes said...

Both the cookies and bars look great! No nut people are crazy. :P
I almost made the cookies this week too, but ran out of time.

Jessica said...

I'm glad that you're on the mend! I made the chocolate chip cookies for last week but I didn't get a chance to post them so I have both recipes up today, too! Both the bars and the cookies look delicious. I'm not a big fan of nuts on or in my baked goods, either. Something about them just interferes with the experience.

Hornedfroggy said...

Great photos! Hope you're feeling better!! :)

Jules said...

Both of these bars look delicious. Take care of yourself. I understand the lure of the kitchen!

Michele said...

I hope you are feeling better! Your bars and cookies both look delicious!

Tracey said...

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better!! The cookies and the bars look awesome. I'm glad you were able to try the cookies - I thought they were amazing :)

karen said...

Great way to get back into the swing of things! Your cookies and bars look fabulous.

Get well soon!

Pamela said...

Glad you are feeling better and I'm so happy you baked along with me this week!! Take care of yourself!

Sarah said...

So glad you're back, Katie! Both of your treats look absolutely delicious! I love the dark brown sugar in your crust, the color is so scrumptious!

Karin said...

Both your cookies and bars look great! Glad you were able to make the cookies- they're a new favorite in our house.

Basically, Baby Boots said...

Katie, welcome back to baking with us (SMS). I hope that you are doing well and are recovering fully. I'm sure that those Whoppers will help. Take care.

Raeann

The Bahens said...

I'm so glad you got your butterscotch in time!!! I'm always worried when I ship things international that they won't get to their destination, but I'm way too cheap to pay for shipping that can be tracked. I like to live on the edge!

Ingrid said...

Aw, Katie so sorry to here you were in the hospital! I am HAPPY to hear that you are on the mend and am back into the kitchen and whipping out double treats!
~ingrid

margot said...

Having both these yummy treats around at the same time is definitely trouble! Everything looks fabulous and I'm glad to hear you're feeling well enough to bake.

Flourchild said...

Girl take care of yourself. Your goodies look very GOOD!!

hotovenwarmheart said...

Hi Katie!

How are you feeling? I hope you're on the mend and feeling 100% in no time! So glad you were able to get back in the kitchen to try the last 2 SMS recipes- both your cookies and bars look fabulous. I'd love for you to stop by my site to check out mine, as well, if you have a chance!

Can't wait to talk to you again after this Sunday's SMS recipe postings!

-Joy

georgiaface said...

The cashew bars look amazing. Please impart your knowledge. No really. I need those in my life. xx