3 Jun 2009

SMS: Very late!!

Oh dear, I really am behind with this week aren't I? I do apologise fellow Melissa Sundayers but it's been a pretty hectic few days. Sunday I was out all day basking in the rarity that is Newcastle sunshine then I jetted (ok, drove) off to Devon/Dorset for a wonderful day of bread fun at River Cottage HQ. More on this later, when I've had time to recover :)


Sunday's challenge was chosen by Jaime of Good Eats and Sweet Treats and is one of the few pictured recipes in the SMS book, Bee Stings. Melissa claims she discovered these little treats while trying to create a doughnut recipe that could be baked rather than deep fried. The result is small sweet buns, almost like brioche, filled with a vanilla custard and glazed with a honey caramel. Sounds delicious. Unfortunately, mine weren't. Like most of the SMS bakers, my dough simply did not form a ball nor did it stop sticking to the side of my Kitchenaid bowl as the recipe stated. I added more flour and continued to mix, after a while it looked almost ball like so I gave up and set it away to rise. I had to give it the full 3 hours but eventually it did double in size, so I formed it into balls and stuck them in the fridge. The following morning I allowed them their second rise which didn't seem to do much but make them slightly fatter. At this point I was pretty sick of looking at them so baked them regardless.

The pastry cream came together quickly and easily and smelled delicious. I refused to taste it cold as I have a fear of chilled custard, it's just so very wrong. I filled the buns, dipped them in caramel, topped them with almonds and stood back to admire. Sure they looked pretty, but how did they taste? Not very good is the answer to that question! I just found the buns a little boring and really not worth the effort involved in making them. I doubt I'll be trying this one again, but I'm sure glad I gave it a go.

As usual, check out everyone elses Bee Stings!

16 comments:

pinkstripes said...

They look great. Too bad they didn't work out for you. It took me two attempts to get it right.

Fit Chick said...

Glad you tried the Stings; I will be trying them another time with some changes. Check out Pinkstripes blog for some good information.

Fit Chick said...

Glad you tried the Stings; I will be making them another time. Check out Pinkstripes blog, she had some good information on making these.

margot said...

They look nice at least. I had a similar reaction to these; I'm glad I gave them a try (I definitely need more practice with yeast bread), but I probably wouldn't make them again.

Sarah said...

Well they look great, even if they weren't your favorite...

spike. said...

Sorry they weren't your favorite but they do look cute!

Michele said...

I have not made these yet, but yours look cute. Sorry you didn't love them!

Mermaid Sweets said...

Looks like you conqured the recipe, sorry you didn't like it, I still want to try a rewind someday.

The Bahens said...

I skipped this recipe because I was on vacation, but now I can't decide if I want to make it up or not! Maybe I can learn from everybody else's bad results! They look so pretty, it's a bummer they didn't taste good, especially after all the effort!

Jaime said...

thanks for baking this week w/me, even if it was late! sorry it was a bit disappointing but i found some good tips on pink stripes on how to avoid adding extra flour like we all did, resulting in a less dense ball of dough. they look great regardless; wish they tasted just as good

Flourchild said...

Yummy looking! Im sorry they weren't a hit with you. I had to miss this one.

PheMom said...

I think yours look great! Mine never even made it past the failed pastry cream, so congrats!

Tracey said...

Those bee stings are gorgeous!! Sorry you had so much trouble with the dough - I'm right there with you. In the end, these weren't worth the effort for me either but it was fun to give them a shot.

Ingrid said...

Bummer that they didn't do anything for you especially after all that work and waiting! Hate when that happens!
~ingrid

hotovenwarmheart said...

Hi Katie!

I came across your comment on the SMS site regarding this week's recipe. I just wanted to wish you luck with your operation, and I hope you have a speedy recovery. You'll be in my thoughts, and I hope you're feeling better and back having fun in the kitchen very soon!

I also wanted to introduce myself- my name is Joy and I'm an enthusiastic home baker from Boston, MA (USA), a brand new blogger, and the newest member of the Sweet Melissa Sundays group. I'd love for you to check out my site (when you're feeling up to it, of course), and I look forward to getting to know you better during future weekly posts!

-Joy

♥Rosie♥ said...

They do look great @0)