photo m

Pages

4 Aug 2009

Girl dates are the best dates

Who here hasn't seen Twilight? I'm guessing most people with girly parts under the age of 35 have had the pleasure of witnessing this romantic re-envisioning of the classic vampire tale. Strangely, two of my very good friends had yet to see this pointy toothed teen romance and in my eyes this was something to rectify, as soon as possible! We arranged a date, got rid of our boy halves for the evening and settled in for a heart warming night with my Twilight blu-ray and 50" TV! What better way to watch than in enormous HD. *swoon*

Since the girls were coming over I felt I had to whip up some dainty treats for us to nibble upon. After an afternoon perusing my mountains of cookery books I finally decided upon ginger Madeleine's (which I forgot to photograph), sugar cookies and a gorgeous lemon cloud cake.


Having never flood filled a cookie before, I knew it was something I needed to try. Rather than starting out with something complex, I decided on some simple hearts. I got the recipe for the royal icing from Not Quite Nigella after I read about her maiden voyage into flood filling (you must check out her super adorable poodle cookies). The whole process was actually a lot easier than I first though, well, once I got the hang of it. Out of the 12 cookies I made, only 8 of them were worthy of the girls.


The cloud cake was something I've been meaning to make for the longest time. I'm utterly obsessed with lemon deserts, lemon meringue pie being my absolute favorite! This cake embodies everything a lemon meringue pie offers with the amazing addition of a fluffy sponge base. Not only does it look absolutely dreamy but when you slice it open, lemon curd comes spilling out, soaking into the cake layer, yum!! You can find the recipe on the BBC Good Food site.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

22 comments:

Ingrid said...

I wanna see a slice of that yummy cake! Sounds delightful!

Your cookies are pretty sweet looking, too!
~ingrid

Btw, I can't wait until the 2nd movie comes out!

Rosy said...

Oh my goodness I LOVE your blog! That background is soooooo pretty. And you must've read my mind! I'm hosting a friend's party this weekend and wanted to make sugar cookies but don't have the recipe -please please pretty please tell me where you got the recipe from??! Rosy x

Katiecakes said...

I used the recipe from Joy of Baking for the actual cookies. You can find it here:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/SugarCookie.html

Thanks so much Rosy, you made me do a grin :D

Katie xox

Elra said...

Oh my gosh, how adorable is that cookies. Feel like Valentine's day!!!!! Hmmm, lemon meringue pie/cake look equally scrumptious!

Elizabeth said...

You would never know it was your first attempt at flooding - they are flawless!

Jennifer said...

Those cookies are PERFECT!!!!!!!!! Great job!!!
yes girl date nights are the best :)

Fahrenheit 350° said...

You can't go wrong with sugar cookies! But these are gorgeous! Your friends must have been so impressed!

shaz said...

Wow! I came to look at your beautiful cookies and find a yummy cake as well...that sounds so decadent!

And your cookies are very beautiful.

(Ps- I prefer the romance of Buffy and Spike :))

Memória said...

Wow, I really thought that I was a female under the age of 35 until you stated that all members of that particular population have seen that vampire movie LOL. So, I must really be over 35 or a male. haha I have no desire to see such a movie, but I do love how yummy your cookies look (even though they are pink)!! :D I've yet to work on flooding. I think I will try that after I work more on piping and decorating. Lovely photos!

Katiecakes said...

You don't know what you're missing! When we were due to see it at the cinema I was all 'do we have to see it, it's for stupid teenagers, whhhhhhhhy?' Then came out of the showing and saw it 2 more times! Haha!

Katie xox

Maria♥ said...

OMG, those cookies are adorable! The cloud cake looks amazing and delish too. Your friends must love coming to your house.

Maria
x

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What pretty girly cookies! And that lemon meringue pie is so tempting! Now, I'm drooling!

I love vampire stories, but I haven't seen that movie... True Blood is more to my liking, I guess ;-P!

Cheers,

Rosa

Heather said...

What lovely desserts you made for the girls! Those pink heart cookies are almost too pretty to eat. Great job!

Sarah said...

I've never flood-filled either, though it is definitely on the to-do list. Your cookies look wonderful - I'm quite impressed with your first time flood-filling skills!

Jamie said...

Yum...both recipes look absolutely delicious! :)

Claire said...

Good job! They look scrumptious!

Hanaâ said...

That sounds like a fun thing to do! One time, my girlfriends and I made pizza from scratch (I took homemade dough for the crust with me) and then watched The Waitress (lots of "pie making" going on in that movie). We had a blast.

Your cookies look adorable. Love the pink colored icing. And the billowy meringue on the cake look delicious.

pigpigscorner said...

aww they look so pretty! I just finsihed reading the whole series of the twilight saga! Really enjoyed it.

NQN said...

Your cookies are divine! I love the shade of pink you achieved and the little dots! Just perfect! :D

pinkstripes said...

The cookies and cake look great!

Hayley said...

Aww your heart cookies are adorable!! I haven't seen Twilight either, can't really see what all the fuss is about, sorry! xx

Nickki said...

OMG those sugar cookies look fantastic!! So does your lemon cloud cake, yummy! I'm reading the forth Twlight book, Red Dawn at the moment...I also loved the movie and can't wait for the second one to come out!! :)