photo m

Pages

14 Aug 2009

My first paid order

A few weeks ago I was commissioned by a friend to bake a batch of cupcakes for a birthday present. I've never been paid for my cakes before and normally I wouldn't take money from a friend, allas she wouldn't take no for an answer.


She gave me free reign over the cakes, her only request was they must be peppermint. So, of course I made a chocolate chip cupcake (chocolate and mint were made for each other, I'm sure you all agree) with a basic peppermint butter cream. It all seemed a little boring so I decided to try out a technique that had been floating around my mind for a while now. Pink and white two tone frosting! I was overjoyed with the result, the only problem I had was super sticky hands from layering the colours in my piping bag, yick!!

Two Tone Frosting:

250g icing sugar
80g unsalted butter
25ml milk
a few drops of peppermint extract
Pink food colouring

Beat together the sugar and butter until the mixture comes together. Add the milk a few drops at a time until you reach your desired consistency. Continue to beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.

Transfer half the frosting into another bowl and add one or two drops of pink food colouring. Mix till the colour is evenly distributed.

Take a piping bag fitted with your favorite nozzle and lay it down on a counter top. Take spoonfulls of the white frosting and lay it on the bottom half of the bag, once all the white frosting is used take the pink and scoop it on top of the white. Take care not to over fill the bag! Fasten bag and pipe away :)

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

14 comments:

Jules said...

They look fantastic. I love the way you have swirled the icing.

Ingrid said...

Yay, good for you!
~ingrid

Cookie said...

How pretty! I bet they taste great too!

Cookie said...

How pretty! I bet they taste great too!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful!!! You did an amazing job :D

Em said...

You really did a nice job :)

C said...

They look fabulous Katie - a really good idea to make the cupcakes look even more special! I bet the birthday girl or boy was thrilled!!!

Stephanie said...

The two-tone is gorgeous! The pink is so pretty! I bet these were a hit!

greedyrosie said...

Ahh how pretty. Really makes me wish I could bake!

AmyRuth said...

Very pretty cupcakes. Isn't so nice when friends ask you to bake for them? I love that.
AmyRuth

AmyRuth said...

Very pretty cupcakes. Isn't so nice when friends ask you to bake for them? I love that.
AmyRuth

Mermaid Sweets said...

Congrats on your fist paid order, it is a little weird with friends, isn't it.

Mrs. G said...

Very cute. I love the swirling of the two icings.

♥Rosie♥ said...

Awe Katie thses cupcakes are utterly divine!!