photo m

Pages

3 Sep 2009

Déjà vu?

Yeah yeah, I'm well aware that I posted about my 'first paid order' a few weeks ago. Well, scratch that, pretend you never read it, it never happened...right? Right! I'm choosing to discount that particular order as it was for a very good friend of mine and the only reason I took the money was to pay for the edible glitter she wanted, I love her far too much to gain from her happiness :) Anyway I digress, this here is my first real paid order!


Let me tell you a story, there's one person in Newcastle you go to for wedding, birthday and party cupcakes, and her name is Lottie McPhee! She owns a tearoom in Gosforth, holds several market stands a month and pretty much owns the whole cakey lottery oop north! All said, dear Lottie is going on holiday to foreign lands, lucky for her and lucky for me ;) A client of hers ordered 100 cupcakes for a wedding anniversary but when confirming the order, Mcphee declared she was to be away so couldn't help her. Through some good friends and this here blog, the lovely client came to me with her request. Lets just say I was happy to help :D


I thought it would be a breeze, but boy oh boy is 100 cupcakes a lot! I was on all day, but thankfully I now know ingredient margins for such a huge number. This has really helped me with understanding bulk order requirements and I'll be much more prepared next time. If there ever is a next time.


Martha Stewart was my savior through this, her easy to follow recipes and bulk baking techniques really pulled me through! Thank you Martha! I followed her basic chocolate chip base and added white chocolate chips to 50, raspberries and white chocolate to 25 and strawberry cheesecake to 25.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

21 comments:

Nicisme said...

Well done, they look fantastic! I could eat one of those right about now...

ABowlOfMush said...

These little cakes are so gorgeous! I love the tea party look when it comes to baking!
I'm so glad I found your blog! Thanks for the comment on mine!
I see you're from Newcastle, My whole family lives in Newcastle, so even though I live in NY now, I get pretty excited when I stumble upon a geordie!

Maria♥ said...

Congratulations and well done!! Your cupcakes look gorgeous and I adore those cute saucers.

Maria
x

sweettherapie said...

Congrats katie!! 100??! that's so impressive!!! the cakes look absolutely beautiful!! (And as usual - i LOVE the sweet saucers!) Did you use martha's buttercream recipe too? it looks so much more fluffy than I would have imagined..!
You're amazing! xx

Jules said...

They look wonderful. I love the icing swirls.

Jenny said...

Wow! They look lovely! The most I've made in one go was 80, which was pretty tough. Well done on making the century!!

Katie said...

They look beautiful and I bet they tasted delicious. I'm sure the bride and groom were thrilled

lakegirl16 said...

These are beautiful! The icing looks amazing!

Snooky doodle said...

these look so nice! I m sure you ll have lots of others paid orders.

Chele said...

Katie the cupcakes look devine! I can almost taste the buttercream from here and I love the wee saucers! Congratulations on your first 'real' paid job.

Heather said...

Congratulations on your beautiful work! They look so pretty and they must have been a great success.

nipitinthebud said...

what a fab story, just shows how a little friendly chat can lead to bigger happier things x

Tracey said...

Congratulations! The cupcakes look amazing :) I hope you get many more orders!

Nina said...

Congrats on your first paid order! These look amazing!

I've tagged you in my A-Z Tag. Please come to blog to collect and pass onto 4 of your friends!
<3

Hilary said...

What a stroke of luck for you! I love them - and I also love the name Lottie McPhee. Tee hee!

Hayley said...

Aw what beautiful cakes!! I love your little plates too, so cute : )

NQN said...

Well done! I've never made that many cupcakes in my life but I can imagine that it would be rather stressful! :) I love the swirl detail on yours :)

Ingrid said...

I know I read this post but can't remember if I left you a comment?!

Either kudos on a great job! They look wonderful. I'm scared to death to nbake for anyone other than my family and the children's friends.
~ingrid

Palidor said...

The cupcakes look wonderful. The icing on top is perfect!

pinkstripes said...

Congrats!!! They look wonderful. I'm sure the couple was pleased.

Freckle and Hyde said...

I see I'm going to be addicted to another food blog. :) These look beautiful! Congrats on your first paid order!