photo m

Pages

17 Sep 2009

My Neighbor Totoro

At the beginning of this month my little brother turned 20! Yep, that means my 'little brother' is no longer a teenager. As I watched him blow out his 20 candles I finally felt my youth slip away, I think this moment hit me harder than the day I woke up on the wrong side of 25. I went straight to the bathroom and started hunting for grey hairs and wrinkles beginning to form around my eyes. My saving grace was a wonderfully rude cashier from ASDA a few days later. I trudged to the checkout, grasping a bottle of Sailor Jerry's Rum between my aging fingers, I handed the bottle to the sour faced woman who placed it on the table next to her and asked in an accusing manner, 'do you have any ID?'. It was like the sun had broken through my little grey cloud. I may well be on the fast track to my 30th but as long as I can be mistaken for an underage drinker I am a happy girl!

(I know, he looks more like a happy kitty than Totoro but he was my favorite!)

To celebrate my brothers transition into his 20's I made him a batch of cupcakes topped with the adorable character Totoro! Totoro is a Studio Ghibli creation from the animated film My Neighbor Totoro and my brother loves him, well, him and anything else from the Japanese culture! I used a basic chocolate chip cupcake topped with peppermint cream cheese frosting and fondant sculpted Totoros. I got the idea from one of my very favorite food blogs A Cat in the Kitchen!

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

17 comments:

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Those cupcakes are adorable! I know your brother found his milestone birthday even that much better with a little smiley Tortoro cupcake!! My girls love Totoro also - one of them is doing a Tortoro embroidered pillowcase.

Mrs. G said...

Very cute!

Eliana said...

You are such a great sister - these cupcakes are the cutest things I have seen in a really long time.

Nora said...

Those cupcakes are so cute!
And congrats on the ID check - I know just what you mean. It really cheers you up, doesn't it? I think that's the test - if you look happy when they ask, you must be old! :D

howsweet said...

How adorable! -Jessica

k.a.r.e.n said...

I LOVE TOTORO!!!!! Those cupcakes are the cutest!!!

Ingrid said...

Ha, very funny...you still look 20! Easily! Happy birthday to your bro!
~ingrid

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

They are so cute!
If you feel old that your brother just turned 20.. my daughter just turned 20! (Does that mean I am a grown-up now?)

Karin said...

I LOVE when people card me. A couple months ago, our server said she thought I was nineteen and I just about kissed her feet (my 30th was a couple weeks ago).

And those cupcakes are too cute! I wish I could decorate cakes like that...

thewhimsicalcupcake said...

pft. you don't look a day over 19 ;) who's the younger sibling NOW, eh?

Anne said...

Katie - those cakes look so adorable!!

I too am heading towards 30, its good that I still gett asked for my ID, though less so when I'm not actually carrying any...

Flourchild said...

These cupcakes are incrdible! My daughter loves that movie and would drool over these! What a talent you have!
I was looking for your SMS scones too! Hopefully later!

Katiecakes said...

Hehe, I had quite a hectic weekend, i'll have em up in the morning. I promise :D

Katie xox

Jacqueline said...

Those are so cute, I would feel guilty biting in! He might have to be removed first :)

cindy* said...

these are too cute...my boyfriend loves studio ghibli everything, he would love these!

rookie baker said...

cuuuuuutee!

that kate said...

Oh i adore Totoro! How wonderful!