11 Oct 2009

Cinnabuns, sweet sweet cinnabuns

This weeks Sweet Melissa Sunday was supposed to be Sticky Buns with Toasted Almonds but as I browsed through the recipe I noticed Melissa's cinnamon variation hiding quietly at the end. Cinnamon buns I thought, screw the sticky buns, I'm making those!


Cinnamon is probably my favorite thing in the world, well, favorite thing in the world to eat, I dread to think about the amount of tubs I go through in a year. Sweet, savory, sprinkled on cakes and pancakes, is there anything this beautiful spice can't make better? In a word, no!

My dough turned out rather sticky, much like the brioche bee stings a few month back. Even after the full 15 minutes kneeding the dough still slapped itself all over the mixer. I added 3 heaped tbsp of extra flour which seemed whip it into shape. Also, my first rise took about 3 hours and the second around an hour and a half but even with all the extra waiting these buns won my heart. I baked them up 9am on Sunday morning before a trip to the market and what a wonderful breakfast they provided. Delightful.



Thank you to Jen of Not Microwave Safe for this lovely pick! Perfect for those chilly mornings we all know too well. Check out the SMS girls for more sticky buns!

21 comments:

Mrs. G said...

I love the pink (or is it purple) icing! Mine are in the final rise phase now. I hope they look as good as yours.

Nora said...

I love cinnamon too and those buns look just lovely. I do like the pink icing!

Shandy said...

How pretty with the pink icing! You really are a cinnamon fan if you go through tubs of cinnamon, WoW! Well, the buns are gorgeous and cinnamon is definitely a good for you spice.

Candy Girl said...

You cinnambun look beautiful, I love the pink icing!

I chickened out of SMS this week and now wished I hadn't!

Chele said...

Buns of any description would be my fave way to start the day! Thanks for the variation on the sticky numnbers, will be giving these a try for sure.

Nina said...

exactly the same thought. hmmm sticky buns...ohhhh cinnamon buns. I'm making those!

the pink icing is a GREAT addition!

notmicrowavesafe said...

Thanks for baking, Katie! I was totally going to pick the cinnamon rolls, but didn't see them on the recipe list online, so I picked the sticky buns hoping people would also let me know what they thought of the cinnamon rolls. I love the pink icing, and definitely go through tons of cinnamon, too! Great job!

-Jen

lakegirl said...

Those look so good! I love cinnamon, too! The pink icing is so cute!

Tracey said...

I came oh so close to making the cinnamon buns but I decided to give the sticky buns a shot since I've made cinnamon buns before. I'm definitely going to try these soon though! Yours look wonderful and I absolutely love the pink icing :)

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Mmm, they look delicious! I wish I could reach in there and grab one.

Sarah said...

I love your cinnamon rolls, they look wonderful with the drizzle of pink icing! I made the the sticky bun version and loved them.

Karin said...

They look delicious! I must say, I think I'm more of a sticky bun girl though. Was your icing pink- I cant tell if its my computer or not. Very cute!

k.a.r.e.n said...

Pink icing -- awesomeness! Your rolls look great!

Hilary said...

While I would always go for sticky over cinnamon, your buns look scrumptious. Love the pink icing topping!

Eliana said...

Your buns look amazing!!! I especially love the pink drizzle on top.

thewhimsicalcupcake said...

i wish i had a chilly morning to enjoy these with :) i'm in southern texas so "chilly" is still quite a ways away :)

beautiful buns though!! pink is the way to my heart!

pinkstripes said...

Your cinnamon buns look wonderful. I debated making this version, but did sticky buns.

margot said...

The buns look fabulous with the coating of pink icing. I made both versions and definitely recommend the sticky buns (the sauce has lots of cinnamon in it, so I think you'll like it).

The Bahens said...

I love the pink frosting! I was hoping these wouldn't be that much better than the pre-made kind from the grocery store, but they were to die for! Now I'm going to be stuck making them all the time!!

Katie said...

Your cinnamon buns look fab and I love the pink tinted icing. Makes them look a little retro

Jacqueline said...

Those look great and the pink icing was a nice touch :)