photo m

Pages

22 Nov 2009

Thrice as nice

I'm sad today, very sad indeed. I was really looking forward to this weeks SMS, raised waffles with brown sugar bananas. Now, doesn't that sound divine? Doesn't it just sound like the most perfect Sunday breakfast? Well, that's what I thought but unfortunately the waffle iron I ordered arrived whilst I was shopping in York and was carted back off to the sorting office, unable to be liberated till Monday morning. Sweet Melissa Tuesday maybe?


Since I found myself unable to participate this Sunday I decided to try a recipe I've had bookmarked for a rainy day, and boy was it a rainy day today! Triple lemon slice, that's right triple lemon. These bars are like a little ray of sunshine in this cold and blustery November. So light, so tangy, a tiny taste of Summer.

Triple Lemon Slice

For the base:
250g digestive biscuits
180g butter, melted
Zest of 1 lemon

For the first layer:
1 can condensed milk
2tsp gelatin
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup lemon juice

Topping:
1 pack lemon jelly
1pt boiling water

Lightly grease a 20cm by 30cm tin and put to one side.

For the base crush the digestive biscuits into tiny crumbs and add the melted butter and zest. Combine then press evenly into the prepared tin. Pop in the fridge to chill until cold.

For the filling dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water and leave to one side to cool. Combine the condensed milk and lemon juice before adding the cooled gelatin infused water. Mix together and pour carefully onto the chilled base. Place back into the fridge to chill until cold.

Follow the instructions on your pack of jelly to make 1 pint. Leave to cool slightly until the mixture goes slightly gloopy, like egg whites. Pour carefully upon the other layers and place back into the fridge till the jelly has set completely and cut into squares,

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

19 comments:

Tracey said...

Bummer about your waffle iron! I look forward to seeing your post.

Thanks for sharing this lemon treat! I love lemon so I'm always up for more lemon goodies :)

Jacqueline said...

That looks lovely, a great way to get over the disappointment :)

Janice said...

Well I'm glad your waffle iron has been delayed because we get to share your triple lemon slice mmmmmm -looks lovely. Looking forward to seeing the waffles too!

lakegirl said...

You'll have to do the waffles as a rewind! I loved the topping.

Your lemon slice looks wonderful! I must ask, what are digestive bisquits?

Ingrid said...

I'm thinking lemon bars sounds tastier than waffles right about now!
~ingrid

Katiecakes said...

I think digestives are the same as Graham Crackers. We use them as the base for cheesecakes and such.

Katie xox

Anne said...

Katie those lemon bars look right up my street! And finally a use for the packet of lemon jelly lurking in the cupboard too!

Hope your get your waffle iron soon :)

NQN said...

As a lemon fiend, I am so compelled to try and make these! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

spike. said...

The waffles were great- perfect first recipe for when you get your waffle maker. Those lemon slices look like a good substitute!

Jules said...

I've bookmarked these. They look delicious and I love the jelly layer.

Flourchild said...

This looks like the perfect treat on a cloudy cold Nov. day.
Sorry our waffle iron didn't get there in time for the SMS waffles.

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Ok, I will just nibble on this lemon bar while you chase down your waffle iron. Nibble, nibble, nibble.. :)

Margaret said...

I love lemon and these slices look wonderful. I must try these.

Heather said...

I know how frustrating it is to miss a mail delivery! However, that Triple Lemon Slice looks delicious.

Heather said...

I know how frustrating it is to miss a mail delivery! However, those Triple Lemon Slices look delicious.

Chele said...

Oh yum! Will have to make these for Hubby!

Michele said...

I'm sorry that your waffle iron hasn't arrived, but these look so delicious!

Vanillastrawberryspringfields said...

Loved this elicious triple lemony treat-lovely pic-can i jus bite into this one???

petitechef said...

Looks lovely!! Great site and recipes!! Your photos are beautiful! :)