photo m

Pages

13 Dec 2009

Oh Nigella

One thing I love about TV in December is all the celebrity chefs Christmas specials. Some days I can hardly drag myself off the sofa, as long as I have a steaming mug of tea, a cat on my lap and the Sky remote, I'm a happy wookie. One of my very favorites is Nigella's Christmas, I mean, who doesn't love Nigella?! I watched them last year, I'm watching this year and will probably watch the very same series next year too :) I just can't get enough.


One thing I loved about Nigella's Christmas was these Christmas Chocolate Cookies. I adore the homemade style of these biscuits, how the icing dribbles any which way it pleases taking the festive sprinkles with it. Just perfect with your morning cup of tea or just something to keep you going while braving those dreaded Christmas crowds.

Nigella's Christmas Chocolate Cookies

250g unsalted butter softened
150g caster sugar
40g cocoa powder
300g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarb
1 tsp baking powder

For the topping:
2 big tbsp cocoa powder
175g icing sugar
60ml boiling water
1 tsp vanilla extract
Christmas sprinkles

Preheat the oven to 170C and line a baking sheet with baking paper.

Cream the butter and sugar together till light and fluffy. Beat in cocoa powder, once mixed in add the flour with the bicarb and baking powder and mix until combined.

Once dough is formed pinch off walnut sized lumps and roll into balls. Place them upon the prepared baking tray spacing them well apart.

Bake them for 15 minutes, the biscuits should look dry and slightly cracked on top. Place cookies onto a wire rack with some newspaper underneath to catch any drips from the topping.

To make the topping place all the ingredients in a pan and place over a low heat, whisking till everything is combined and smooth.

When the biscuits are cool drizzle each one with a spoonful of the topping giving them a delicious uneven, dribble look. After you've topped 6 of the cookies scatter with Christmas sprinkles, if you try to top them all before sprinkling you'll find the cocoa 'glue' will have dried and the sprinkles won't stick.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

15 comments:

Transatlanticism said...

i've got her christmas cook book but have yet to brave anything from it. all looks great though. so sad i'm missing her christmas show though :(. I want to get sky purely for the food channels.

Issy said...

I was forced out of the house before I could watch Nigella...so unfair!!! xxx

Snooky doodle said...

wow i like these. I love Nigella and have some of her books, Pity I don t have Nigella Christmas yet :(

margot said...

Beautiful Christmas cookies! I love watching holiday food specials, definitely a great way to spend a cold weekend afternoon.

lakegirl said...

These look delicious! I don't know that we get her Christmas special in the states! :(

Kat said...

I am exactly the same. I have watched more nigella in the past week then I have in my whole life. Her christmas shows are the best!

Rosy said...

yep, spent the WHOLE of yesterday (bar one hour when I went to the candle lit carol service! Sooooooooo christmassy) on the sofa in pj's watching Nigella. She's awesome. These look so yum! x

Natashya Kitchen Puppies said...

I love Nigella too! These cookies are awesome, I made them last week too.

Margaret said...

I too have watched Nigella, recorded Nigella, watched Nigella -you get my drift.........
I haven't made these cookies but they do look delicious.

Janice said...

I haven't seen any Nigella this year but watched it before. She does make it all look so easy and really enjoys her cooking. I'm looking forward to seeing the Hairy Bikers new Christmas show, they love their food too!

Debbie said...

Oh do they look good and so festive. Love chocolate cookies and those Christmas sprinkles!

Michele said...

I LOVE Nigella! These look fantastic!

Hilary said...

I watched on Saturday morning. It must have been the third time I've seen that episode.

Katie said...

The cookies look great. I agree that watching Nigella's Christmas really puts me in the festive mood.

Zoƫ said...

Oh no. Unfortunately I can report that these cookies are still delicious even when baked well after the twelve days of Christmas are up. Darn it.