10 Jan 2010

And we're off

Oh Sweet Melissa, how I've missed your presence in my kitchen during these cold and snowy weeks. It feels like forever since we last danced, don't ever leave me again. Deal? Deal!

Our first recipe of 2010 is an exciting one, a creative opportunity even. Donna of L'Amour de Tarte chose the chocolate pie crust but the filling was to be left up to us. Decisions decisions. Dozens of combination's flooded my mind, peanut butter, lemon curd, toffee, even a chocolate version of the English classic bakewell tart. The possibilities were endless. Eventually I settled upon one filling, something that marries perfectly with chocolate and one of my very favorite combination's, chocolate, cherry and cream tart.


Like most other Melissa bakers I found the crust quite a disappointment. It was difficult to work with, cracking at every given opportunity and had quite a bland taste despite me subbing the shortening for an all butter version. Oh well, the search for a delicious chocolate crust continues and for now I'll stick to crushed oreos :)

Check out the other SMS girls to see how they decided to fill their pies.

21 comments:

Jaime said...

it's beautiful!

Tracey said...

I couldn't agree more Katie. Mine cracked a ton and then was really bland after it baked. Great photo!

Chele said...

Such a shame the taste and effort doesn't live up to its beauty (I hate it when that happens)!!! Your tart looks just amazing Katie ;0)

Linda said...

Beautiful presentation. I just found your blog...vry nice...amd it is also nice to meet you!

Nina said...

It looks beautiful even if it doesn't taste that way!

Flourchild said...

Your tart is beautiful! I am bummed the crust was flavorless too. I so agree with you on sticking with the Oreo crust!

lakegirl said...

Your tart is so beautiful! Who would ever know the crust was so blah!

I love the photo. You are always SO creative!

Ingrid said...

BUmmer about the tart crust.

Happy New Year!
~ingrid

comfycook said...

I love your choice of fiillings. Chocolate and cherry always work.

Jacqueline said...

Mmmmmm, it was definitely worth the effort. Yum!

Sook said...

I'm sorry the crust didn't turn out the way you wanted to but it sure looks beautiful!

k.a.r.e.n said...

I hated making the crust too! Your pie looks divine!

Stephanie said...

look so pretty! sorry you didn't love it. just means you have an excuse to bake more until you find THE pie crust!!! :) PS - is that a giant cup your pie is sitting on or is your pie itty bitty?

spike. said...

I guess I'm the odd one out because I liked the crust! The combination sounds good thought and looks so adorable!

Eliana said...

your tart looks gorgeous. sorry the crust was a bit of a disappointment.

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

So pretty!
Sorry the crust didn't deliver.

Susan said...

Looks so pretty sitting on the teacup! Sorry the crust disappointed.

Coleen's Recipes said...

Isn't it curious how some recipes LOOK fantastic but taste "blah" and some recipes LOOK like a train wreck but are delicious!! Very nice photograph.

Katie said...

Looks so elegant. I love the combination of chocolate and cherries. BTW, I have given you an award. please visit my blog for details

TeaLady said...

LOVE the teacup presentation. Very creative. And the tarte looks delicious.

Sorry it wsn't the taste you were looking for.

Mermaid Sweets said...

Beautiful presentation, sorry the crust was a bust.