6 Jan 2010

Cheesecake Brownies

This morning, as I lay in the divine state of half sleep I was rudely awoken by a very strange sound, a very strange indeed. I rubbed my eyes and furrowed my brow as this odd screeching continued. Eventually I got out of bed and stumbled dozily towards the window. Little did I know that the sight that would greet me would fill me with such childish glee. A thick blanket of snow enveloped everything in sight apart from the cause of that horrid sound. A poor BT engineer and his van were stranded in the middle of the road and had taken to digging his way out. I felt sorry for him, I really did, that is until I realised that there was no way in hell we could possible get our car out of the drive today. You know what that means....SNOW DAY!! Yep, today the majority of the country celebrated England grinding to a halt with a day of tea, PJs and a good book. Well, at least that's how I celebrated.

Once my book was done boredom started to set in. I realised that this day off wasn't as amazing as I first thought. I was stuck, confined even. Cabin fever can drive a girl to insanity you know. Of course, I decided to stave off the dreaded fever by appeasing one of my resolutions, to bake something new from each of my cook books. Today I chose cheese cake brownies from one of my often read but seldom used books Blissful Brownies.


Cheesecake Brownies:

175g unsalted butter
125g plain flour
200g golden caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3tbsp cocoa powder

Cheesecake Topping:

200g ricotta
50g golden caster sugar
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 180C and grease a 30cm x 18cm brownie pan.

In a medium saucepan melt the butter over a low heat. Once melted stir in the cocoa powder and sugar, combining till smooth.

Add the egg, beating the mixture till fully inc-operated before adding the flour. Stir through until smooth and add to the prepared pan.

To make the cheesecake mixture combine the sugar, cheese and egg and beat until smooth. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture on top of the brownie base. Take a sharp knife and run it through the batter creating a marbled effect.

Put the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 35 minutes. Testing regularly with a cake skewer.

20 comments:

ginger@dinnerdiary.org said...

They look lovely! No snow day here sadly, maybe tomorrow!

Chele said...

They look great. So jealous you had a snow day! Unfortunately it's only 5 min walk from my home to the office so they aren't buying any snow related excuses for me not making it in ;0(

Lucie said...

oooh these look delish. Glad you had a great snow day!

Janice said...

mmmmm they look gorgeous. So glad you got bored and baked.

Candy Girl said...

We are expecting a blanket of snow here tonight and I can't wait! I love cheesecake brownies - David Lebovitz's recipe is fantastic.

Gala said...

Love that you cut such big pieces, that's my kind of brownie size!

Vanillastrawberryspringfields said...

have been wanting to try cheese cake swirled brownies for awhile now-and urs look damn good but we dont get those lovely mixes out here very often but i dont mind doing it from scratch really...lovely pic...

Katie said...

I love snow days. Its so nice to be all warm in the kitchen while looking at falling snow. The brownies look lovely.

Anne said...

I'm on a snow day today! Have no eggs in the house, should of planned better as could of got some baking done :(

Love the marbling on those brownies, will definately be making when I venture out to the shops..

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Now that is a resolution I can get behind!
They are gorgeous, happy snow day!

Eliana said...

I like your resolution. I may have to do something similar. As for these brownies, they look super delish!

Sook said...

Wow look how pretty that is! :)

tracieMoo said...

these brownies look perfect! Great job on the swirls. They look beautiful :)

現在的... said...

很好啊 ..................................................

hotovenwarmheart said...

Happy New Year Katie!

I just wanted to stop by, say hello, and see how you're doing- I'm sorry it's been so long since my last visit... but I'm glad SMS is back in action after our "winter break." I can’t wait to enjoy another fun, fabulous year of baking and blogging together in 2010!

Your cheesecake brownies look delicious, and I LOVE your resolution to bake something new from each of your cookbooks. What a great idea! I have been building a collection, but unfortunately, many of them remain unused. Also, now you get to share some of the hidden treasures in your library with us! I'm looking forward to seeing all the yummy things you whip up!

Hope you’re doing well and having a great week! Talk to you soon!

<3,
Joy

Janice said...

Katie - I've blogged an award for you, take it or leave it, pass it on or not. I won't be offended, just wanted to acknowledge how much I enjoy your blog. :}

Michele said...

These look so delicious Katie! What a lovely treat!!

comfycook said...

The marbling makes such a difference in appearance. It is pretty.

Jacqueline said...

I love the look of these brownies. I am bookmarking this one.

I made prune and chocolate brownies yesterday, from that little good food magazine book we were talking about. I was very disappointed, they were too pruney in flavour and the chocolate couldn't be tasted at all.

The Girl said...

My word these look WONDERFUL!

I've got some marscapone in my fridge, do you reckon I could substitue that for the ricotta?!