photo m

Pages

1 Jan 2010

Happy New Year!

Wow, not only a whole new year but a whole new decade. Welcome to the Teenies! (their word, not mine) Better make this one count. As with every January 1st come the resolutions and for once mine isn't to eat healthily. Instead my resolutions are as follows:

1. To complete the 50 book challenge! I probably already do this on a year to year basis but this year I plan to record every book I read in my diary along with every film I see at the cinema. Just to know :)

2. Learn to speak conversational Spanish. No, I don't have any plans to visit Spain this year, I just think it's a lovely language.

3. Save at least £5000 from Pet Lamb and make my little dream come true :)

Totally doable and not at all over ambitious, for once. But I am curious dear reader, what are yours?

Anyway, I decided to start the year as I mean to go on, with lots and lots of yummy food. American blueberry pancakes smothered in maple syrup, the perfect way to ring in the new year!


Ingredients:

200g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
300ml milk
knob butter
150g pack blueberries
sunflower oil or a little butter for cooking
golden or maple syrup

Mix together the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Beat the egg with the milk, make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and whisk in the milk to make a thick smooth batter. Beat in the melted butter, and gently stir in half the blueberries.

Heat a teaspoon of oil or small knob of butter in a large non-stick frying pan. Drop a large tablespoonful of the batter per pancake into the pan to make pancakes about 7.5cm across. Make three or four pancakes at a time. Cook for about 3 minutes over a medium heat until small bubbles appear on the surface of each pancake, then turn and cook another 2-3 minutes until golden. Cover with kitchen paper to keep warm while you use up the rest of the batter. Serve with golden syrup and the rest of the blueberries.

Also, the winner of my Hello, Cupcake competition is............... comment number 18!!! Natalie of the lovely, and my newly discovered blog Afternoon Tea Total Congratulations Natalie, I hope you enjoy creating some adorably cute cupcakes!


 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

14 comments:

Janice said...

Mmmm - yummy pancakes. Congrats to Natalie on the blog giveaway win. HOpe you will blog progress on your resolutions Katie!

Vanillastrawberryspringfields said...

Oh these are ymmy pancakes u have here katie...

Beth said...

The panackes look delicious. I don't tend to make resolutions - it makes me feel rubbish when I don't stick to them!!! However, I would like to get more confident with pastry - and also start baking my own bread - better than the plastic stuff in Tesco!!!

Tracey said...

Gorgeous pancakes! Happy New Year to you too :)

Michele said...

Your pancakes look amazing! Happy New Year!

Cousin B said...

Love the picture of these! Maybe it'll inspire me to actually make them! :-)
I love how you share so many great recipes and post such beautiful pics. with them! Keep up the good work!
Good luck with those resolutions!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Those pancakes look perfect!

steven said...

So yummy!
I'm going to try these really soon.
Steven

Eliana said...

Happy New Year Katie. What a lovely way to welcome the new decade. These look incredible.

HanaĆ¢ said...

The pancakes stacked high look delicious! Happy new year, Katie!

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

A great breakie! Blueberry pancakes and real maple syrup are very popular in Canada.
Congrats Natalie!

Natalie said...

Katie,
I'm so excited about winning your competition - thank you! And also for your kind words about my blog. I'll look forward to posting the results of my cupcake making soon.
Nx

stephchows said...

ooo those pancakes look perfect!!! As for my resolutions, nothing big, just to not worry or get scared about planning my wedding :)

Katiecakes said...

Natalie, I'm so sorry you haven't received your book yet! The weathers been so bad up here I haven't been able to make it to a post office! It will be winging it's way to you asap!!

Katie xox