30 Jan 2010

Vegan, attempt two!

Yep, this is my second attempt at vegan baking and boy did this one turn out well! My last creation, the avocado chocolate cake actually wasn't bad, it was just...strange! So, to rectify that I went out and bought myself a copy of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, stocked up on Pure soy butter, soy milk and got right to it.


I have to admit, I think I prefer these cakes to normal cupcakes. they were so light and moist. They near enough melted on the tongue. Although, not even these cakes were good enough to ever make me give up cheese ;)

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes (from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)

1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup caster sugar

1/3 cup veg oil

1tsp vanilla extract

1 cup plain flour

1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4tsp baking soda
1/2tsp baking powder


Preheat oven to 175C and line a muffin pan with liners.

Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl and set aside to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and soda. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat till no large lumps remain.

Pour into liners, filling three quarters of the way. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.

Frosting:
1/2 cup of non hydrogenated veg shortening
1/2 cup of non hydrogenated vegan marg (I used Pure)

3 1/2 cups of icing sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 cup soy milk

Beat the shortening and marg together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for a few more minutes. Add the vanilla and soy and beat for 5-7 minutes until fluffy.

24 comments:

Michele said...

Yeah! I love that you are doing vegan baking. Your cupcakes are gorgeous and the photos are stunning.

-amykins- said...

Oh yay, I just became vegan a couple of weeks ago, and got all sad that your blog might not be relevant to me anymore! So pleased to see these, and they look very pretty :)

Jacqueline said...

They do look good, but I am with you on the cheese front :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

They look so pretty and very tempting! I love that cup...

Cheers,

Rosa

Jennifer said...

I too am happy to see the vegan baking :) SO cute cupcakes!

天那 said...

Man proposes, God disposes.........................................

vegaia said...

Check out this informative and inspiring video on why people choose vegan: http://veganvideo.org/

Also see Gary Yourofsky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bagt5L9wXGo

Susan said...

I made the chocolate avocado cake too! Thought the icing was different, but loved the cake! Those cupcakes sound great.

C said...

They look really lovely Katie. I'm definitely interested in any cupcake that promotes itself as moist and chocolatey! Perfect to widen my repertoire!!

Lucie said...

These are FAB Katie, great pictures.

Chele said...

Your cupcakes look too cute to eat, but I think after an hour or so of admiring their beauty I'd have to cave and eat maybe just one ;0)

Debbie said...

Looks delicious. I tried making a vegan chocolate cake once and it was a disaster...I need to try again!

smilinggreenmom said...

These look so fabulous! Our son has milk and egg allergies so a vegan recipe for baking is always appreciated! They look scrumptious too :) I think I could even use Kamut Khorasan Wheat flour for added yumminess :)

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Congrats on your beautifully successful forays into vegan baking!

Ingrid said...

Ha, that's funny that while good they weren't good enough to give up cheese! :)
~ingrid

Sook said...

They look beautiful.

Choclette said...

I was really surprised when I made my a vegan chocolate cake - I was highly dubious, but it was really good. These look very pretty.

Eliana said...

I've never made anything vegan but I may have to start becauase of this beautiful cupcake.

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

I guess I could substitute soy milk for normal milk. I don't think I'd use the soy milk for anything else. I've tried it and it wasn't my thing.

I'm in search of a really good squidgy chocolate cake recipe for small cakes or traybake. Do you reckon this one is the tops - or is there a better one you know of ?

I'll maybe try this one with the normal milk tomorrow and see if I can make something that doesn't taste like sawdust :-P

MAybe I'm just no good at chocolate cake !

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

I've just got on and made these. The mix gave me nine.

I must say - I'm flabegasted. After years of failures when it comes to chocolate cakes ..... this has turned out superb and will definately be going in my recipe book.

I sub'd the soy milk for semi skimmed.


I'm now going to try the Martha Stewart one and decide which book to buy after making and frosting both batches

Sweet and Savory said...

These look fabulous. I have to look into vegan baking.

lenalu said...

These look fabulous!

I cannot wait to make them! How did you get the icing pink? Did you add coloring? or did it turn out that way naturally?

thepastrychefathome said...

I've heard so much about this cookbook. I'm the furthest thing from a vegan (nothing will ever get me to give up butter) but I am so intrigued by the recipes.

Your photos are so pretty! I love the way you use the teacups as little stands for the cupcakes!

parsnipsandsprockets said...

These cupcakes are really good if you leave out the milk and vinegar and use a cup of merlot instead.

You can also make merlot frosting by leaving out the vanilla and using the wine instead of milk.

You may have already done the chocolate merlot cupcake, but I just found your blog (so I don't know). =)

Great cupcakes btw!!