photo m

Pages

22 Feb 2010

Cupcake fun

Lordy lordy, am I cupcaked out! And the way Pet Lamb is going there isn't an end in sight. I've been baking solidly for about 2 weeks now, baking, freezing, frosting, selling. It's a never ending cycle, but I've never been happier! Plus, this week marks a huge milestone in my life, but more on that later ;)

This week I've been doing some more experimenting with vegan baking, but this time I've combined elements of two special diets to create these not only vegan, but gluten free beauties. Flavored with a drop of almond essence combined with the classic vanilla, I'm sure these babies won't just appeal to celiac's.


Next on the menu is every Geordie's favorite drink, magicked into a beautiful cupcake! That's right, a Brown Ale Cupcake! I can't bring myself to say Newcastle Brown Ale as they've gone and moved the brewery to Yorkshire, heathens! I don't half miss the smell of the hops drifting over the river come brewing day. Sigh. If I had the patience I would have doodled the Newcastle sky line upon the blue starts, but the last of my patience was spent icing next Sundays SMS challenge :p


Gluten Free, Vegan Cupcakes (adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)

1 cup soy milk
1/3 canola oil (I used veg oil)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend ( Doves do an excellent blend)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 175C and line a tray with cupcake papers.

In a large bowl combine the soy milk, oil, sugar and extracts. Mix to combine then add flour blend. Its important to mix the batter very well, remember there is no fear of over beating as there is no gluten to make the cake tough.

Fill liners little over 3/4 full as these cakes won't rise as much as a traditional cupcake.

Bake for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Let cool completely before frosting.



 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

18 comments:

Eliana said...

These look amazing. Can you let me know what size tip you used to frost these beauties?

Katiecakes said...

Ahhh, I don't know the size. It's from Bake it Pretty and it was called The Best Cupcakes Decorating Set.

Katie xox

Lucie said...

Stunning cupcakes Katie! So pleased you are happy making them :)

Joanne said...

These cupcakes would appeal to any crowd! Love teh frosting and decorations!

Chele said...

Beautiful!

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Beautiful! You are the queen of cupcakes! They each look so perfect.

Janice said...

Great cakes there Katie, your frosting looks great although I think it would be a bit much sweetness for me. I like the sound of the Newkie Broon cupcakes, they could catch on!

Sook said...

Oh these are so so beautiful! You're such an artist! I could never make cupcakes this pretty. Never. :)

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

such cupcake perfection as usual ! The last vegan recipe we so good that I'll have to have a go at this one too.

Brisbane Baker said...

Beautiful! And a brilliant idea...

Good work :D

www.brisbanebaker.blogspot.com

Julie said...

Beautiful cupcakes. Glad the cupcake business is going so well for you!

Jennifer said...

So super cute!!! great job!

Superchef said...

Incredibly beautiful!!

Ingrid said...

Those beauties don't look vegan that's for sure! Very lovely they are.
~ingrid

Megan said...

These cupcakes all look absolutely adorable! My favorite part of making and eating cupcakes is always the gobs of butter cream I pile on top ;)

Jas. said...

These look delicious and I can tell you as a coeliac I will certainly try them out!

elledee said...

wow lovely!

Rogue said...

My gosh, they look so good! Alongside a cup of tea, that would be bliss right now :) thanks for the comment on my blog! xx