photo m

Pages

27 Feb 2010

Sugarlove

Two Sweet Melissa's in a row? I must be getting my wee bot back on track ;)

First of all, I'd like to say one thing. For the first time since I was 17 I am no longer employed by the protective and cushy bubble that is the local authority. Yup, on Friday I bid Gateshead Council and Housing Company a final farewell, thus closing that chapter of my life forever. I've met some wonderful people and had some super fun times and I hope whoever may be reading this knows I'll miss that little corner of my office deeply. However, in the same breath I am overjoyed to state that I am now the newest member of the Bigface Studio family. Yeah sure, there might just be Kris and myself at the moment, but that's not the point ;) Now, onwards and upwards!

Right, now I've got that out of the way let me get to the main attraction. I've never been a big fan of sugar cookies, I've just never found a recipe that has worked for me. They're either too tough, to crumbly, too bland or just too damn difficult to work with. Sweet Melissas version was one of the better cookies I've came across. The dough came together quickly and easily and was very pliable. Now, I'm certainly not a fan of delicate flavours, I like to taste my food and taste it big, so with this in mind I upped the amount of vanilla and lemon zest by half a tsb each. After reading my fellow SMS bakers comments I'm certainly glad I did, the main theme running through the posts were 'lack of flavour' and 'bland'. Glad I dodged that bullet.



I've always been a little bit obsessed with sugar skulls and after having a rake through my assortment of cookie cutters I decided to use my halloween skull and spend an afternoon colouring in bright and beautiful Day of the Dead style biccies. I sold the biscuits at a friends gig and boy were they the hit of the show. Everyone that wandered past out little stall commented on their decoration before digging deep in their wallets to become a proud owner ;) Thanks Melissa and thanks Nina for your awesome pick this week, you've rekindled my faith in sugar cookies!

I do apologise for my early post, but I have a very busy day ahead of me tomorrow and I just wouldn't get the time to get this up. I hope you forgive me!

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

23 comments:

Eliana said...

Oh man - these look freakin fantastic! You are incredibly talented. I bet these are going to be the best ones of all the SMS bakers. I'm not a fan of sugar cookies so I'm going to skip these but you are making me want to make them.

Hilary said...

What an exciting change! Congratulations to you.

And your cookie decorating skills? Awesome.

Sook said...

ha ha those skulls look too cute! :)

Nora said...

Katie, I love the skull design! So cool! It's definitely time I got myself a skull cookie cutter. :D

Nina said...

Katie! Thanks for baking with me this week. Your cookies look so pretty and delicious! I absolutely love the decorations on top and I'm super happy that they were a big success!

Chele said...

Very creative Katie. They look great.

Candy Girl said...

Your cookies are so creative, fun, and gorgeous!

Flourchild said...

Your sugar skulls are rockin! What fabulous artistic skills you have! I have missed you around TWD and SMS. I was thinking that as I read your blog. Congrats on the new position at work too!

Janice said...

Congratulations on your new career, I hope it is a big success for you. Your cookies look great.

Choclette said...

Good luck - sounds very exciting.

Julie said...

These are too fun! Very creative.

Congratulations on the new chapter in your life!

Tracey said...

Congratulations on the new job Katie! Your cookies are gorgeous - I'm not at all surprised they sold quickly. I liked this recipe too though I also upped the flavor using some almond extract.

Susan said...

Your skulls are wonderful! Great job on these. I passed. Hubby isn't a sugar cookie fan.

k.a.r.e.n said...

Those are some amazing looking cookies! Great job!

Mara... said...

Amazing!!! I love how you decorated them, they are so eye-catching and colorful!!! Congrats on your new job, too!

spike. said...

Those skulls are rad! Great work

Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul said...

Very nicely done Katie. So creative!

Hayley said...

Love these Katie, so cute!

Brisbane Baker said...

Hi Katie,

Congrats on your new career path!

Wonderful idea!!

Check me out:

www.brisbanebaker.blogspot.com

Ingrid said...

Oh, my! You did a marvelous job with those! SO cool!
~ingrid

E is for Eleanor said...

I LOVE Sugar skulls and anything mexicana! I even dressed up as a sugar skull for halloween last year :)

Great cookies, so impressive!

The Bahens said...

I don't think calling these cookies "the cutest ever" quite fits, but they are amazing! Oh my gosh!!! Seriously, Katie, you've outdone yourself!!!

On a different note, I have some mass-baking-for-large-event questions. I'm going to email you. This is just a heads up! :)

elledee said...

omigosh, I love those sugar skull cookies! how fun!

Instagram