12 Mar 2010

Upcakes

No, that wasn't a typo, today I have been making Upcakes. OK, I suppose I better explain myself, these cakes are based upon the charming and highly emotional film Up! Oh how I loved that film, I laughed, I cried and then I cried some more. So when I spotted these cakes on Bakerella's blog I just had to give them a try.


The only difficult thing about these cupcakes for me was finding a shop that stocked doughnut holes. Unfortunately the only holes I could find were jam filled so they were a little larger than the ones Bakerella used and I guess they were quite a bit heavier too. Rather than using noodles I had to use cocktail sticks to hold up the 'balloons' and even then the mound slid slowly down the sticks till they eventually met the top of the cake. Oh well, I'm sure they'll still taste just as delicious.

20 comments:

Eliana said...

They look so precious Katie :)

Tanja said...

They look really cute! :) I wanted to try and make this when I saw the instructions too, but I can't get doughnut holes anywhere, so I guess I'll have to live without the Upcakes.

Hilary said...

Teeheeheeheehee. So cute. Bakerella always has such imaginative ideas. You have done an awesome with these.

Chele said...

Such a fun idea! They look so cute!

Nina said...

These are so adorable Katie! That makes me want to make them next time my friends and I watch Up!

How To Be Perfect said...

Oh my god I love these! Adorable x

Snooky doodle said...

oh these are super cute :)

Janice said...

Bakerella is such an inspiration. Your Upcakes look fab!

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

They look great! Donut holes are big in Canada, under the name of "Timbits".

Jessica said...

Those cupcakes are just precious! I saw UP on the plane and I was crying like a baby trying to prevent all of the people around me from seeing me cry.

Brisbane Baker said...

Wow! Very clever!

Absolutely adorable!

Julie said...

These are so cute! There's a donut shop close by, I will have to see if they have donut holes.

Joanne said...

Those are just too adorable! I love the UP theme. Perfect for a kids birthday party. Or a 23-year-old who wishes she were five again. Or just loves cupcakes.

Candy Girl said...

So cute!!! I loved the movie Up too. The montage of the little couple's life together is one of the sweetest things I have ever seen on film.

daisychain said...

oh wow, too awesome!

Hayley said...

I just got it and went "ohhhhh Upcakes! y'kno Up-Cakes, Up, y'kno... balloons" and my partners looking at me like wtf is she going on about lol. LOVE them, too cute!!

Maria♥ said...

Oh these are sooooo cute! Where did you get your gorgeous pink cake stand?

Maria
x

HanaĆ¢ said...

These look super cute!!

Katiecakes said...

I got it from Next a few days ago! Whip out and grab one Maria :D

Katie xox

thewhimsicalcupcake said...

I watch Up eeeevery weekend. I LOVE that movie so much. I must make these, they are adorable!!

Maybe you could go all out during Xmas and bake a gingerbread house like in Up and attach the balloons ;)

"Good. Speak"
"Hi there!"
"Did that dog just talk?"
"Oh yes, my name is Dug." oh man. I heart Dug.