photo m

Pages

3 Apr 2010

Easter baking

Can you believe I almost skipped this week?! Shocking I know, but when I saw pecan shortbread cookies on the upcoming list I thought of all those lovely biccies going to waste when Kris found out they contained nuts. I was already planning on baking the double crusted caramel apple pie for Easter desert so while I was looking over the recipe I thought I'd have a little leaf over to the shortbread to see what I was missing. Well, the second I read through this simple process I was in love. They sounded amazing and not only that, the nuts were ground up therefore easily feedable to my fussy boy. That settles it I though, I must find some pecans. And pecans I found!


I thought these little cookies were absolutely delish! Just small enough to pop in your mouth and so full of that wonderful buttery flavour. What a treat! I will defiantly be making these again. Pop along to Laura's blog, The Lab for the recipe.

Now for a SMS treasure I missed a few weeks back. This was actually going to be my choice when it finally came around but I certainly wasn't complaining when it popped up on the up coming recipes bar! I was over the moon but for some reason or another, life got in the way and I just didn't find the time to bake it! Not to worry, I thought, this pie will make the perfect addition to Easter lunch. And so it will. As I type this the pie is resting in my mums kitchen, just waiting for a bunch of hungry siblings to dig in. I made a few changes to this recipe, the fact this pie contained no cinnamon horrified me, so I added a pinch the the apples before combining with the caramel and sprinkled a liberal amount of cinnamon sugar atop the egg washed pastry. Lovely!


Now, get your tush along to the SMS bakers list to see what everyone else has cooked up. You know you want to.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

19 comments:

Chele said...

Both recipes look so good Katie. Have a happy Easter and enjoy your family lunch.

Candy Girl said...

Happy Easter Katie! Your pie and cookies both look beautiful and delicous.

Sweet and Savory said...

The cookies fit into the setting you put them into. Happy Easter.

Flourchild said...

I couldn't help nut notice GREEN grass in your tea picture.Im so jealous, we still have snow here! The only thing missing from that darling tea party set up is me! Great looking cookies and the pie looks like pure deliciousness!

Katiecakes said...

Ahhh, the grass may be green but boy is it cold out there! It should at least be warming up by now :(

Katie xox

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Great pics! Glad you enjoyed the cookies and pie so well! :) Happy Easter!

daisychain said...

oh the cookies sound wonderful! I wish I had done more baking this week.

Nina said...

The cookie and pies look delicious!

Tracey said...

You managed to make the pecan shortbread cookies look fabulous!! Not an easy task - I took SO many pics of them and didn't like any of them :) Hope you enjoy the pie - it was one of my favorites!

Julie said...

I loved these cookies, too.

Your pie looks amazing!

Tessa said...

Love the pie picture! I wasn't able to make it a couple weeks ago either, and you've almost convinced me to "catch up" as well!

Glad you enjoyed the cookies and hope the pie was delicious!

Leslie said...

These are lovely cookies! I took great liberties with the recipe so mine look nothing like they are supposed to. Your apple pie looks so delicious!

Susan said...

First of all, sorry I "stole" your pick! :) But, thanks for baking with me.

And, your cookies look good. Lovely pictures.

margot said...

Both treats look terrific, I hope everyone enjoyed the pie today. I would have made the pecan cookies much earlier in the week than I did if I'd realized how easy the recipe is - always a nice surprise, especially when the result is such a delicious cookie.

mackt_gattis1115 said...

I love readding, and thanks for your artical. ........................................

Rosy said...

Love your pie dish - I think I might have to invest in a new one for the strawberry rhubarb one coming up soon! A necessity, of course ;-)

Your cookies look fab and I love the tea set up. Just perfect! xx

Mara... said...

Your cookies are lovely as is your table!! And the pie looks delicious, too. Hope you had a good weekend!

lasgalletasdeSu said...

Marvellous blog, I'll make this apple pie soon!

lasgalletasdeSu said...

Marvellous blog! I'll make this apple pie soon!