photo m

Pages

14 May 2010

Giant Cupcake for Birthday Season!

I have a love hate relationship with this time of year.  First of all, it's spring! The lambs are leaping and the sun is shining, well supposed to be shining, and it's the month I grow by one whole year.  The thing is, it's also the month that the majority of my friends and family do the same thing. My purse quivers and I'm stuck eating beans on toast for a month.  But, all of that is worth it when you get to give your nearest and dearest something that makes their face light up.  And that's exactly what this cupcake did.

Tate and Lyle were something of a saving grace this year.  The lovely Jo contacted me asking if I'd like to try some of their fair trade sugars out as part of their We Love to Bake initiative. Well, anything that makes the next few weeks easier on my purse strings is fine by me. So I accepted and a wonderful hamper of sugars were soon winging their way to me.  Thanks Tate & Lyle!


Using their array of ethical sugars I set about making a giant cupcake for my soon to be sister-in-law's birthday.  This is only the third giant I've baked so I was slightly worried about my amateurish icing and slightly wonky sponge, so I decided to try my hand at a fondant bow to distract from my shaky hands work.    Considering it's my first real attempt at sculpting I'm quite happy with the result, and it's made me hungry for bigger and better things.  I think I'll get my little self booked onto a sugar crafting course this summer.  The day I can hand craft a delicate sugar rose is the day I'll jump for joy!

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

16 comments:

How To Be Perfect said...

Such an adorable cake, really sweet and great bow x

http://theartofbeingperfect.blogspot.com/

Brisbane Baker said...

CUTE! I LOVE this idea :)

www.brisbanebaker.blogspot.com

Rosy said...

I love it!! Big bows are what it's all about and that is incredible, especially for a 1st go!! xx

Lucie said...

OMG, this is so gorgeous - LOVE it. x

Jacqueline said...

And I was sitting here thinking how impressed I was with your professional icing :)

daisychain said...

Love love love this

Joanne said...

This monster cupcake is absolutely gorgeous! I love your decorations. And happy birthday sweetie!

Eliana said...

Looks beautiful :)

Tracey said...

Hi! Your icing looks perfect to me (a lot better than what I could manage!) I bet your sister-in-law loved it!

Beth (Jam and Clotted Cream) said...

Wow - looks amazing, especially the piping!!

Julie said...

Beautiful!! Love the pink bow.

Chele said...

That looks fantastic Katie. Well done ;0)
My family save all tehir birthdays for the same time of year too so I can totally empathise with your situation!

Stephanie said...

Your bow came out beautiful! And your frosting job is wonderful too!! Soooo cute

Katie said...

This looks fab. I have tried making giant cupcakes myself and decorating them is always hard. What did you use on the base? It looks a bit like sweetcorn - sure its not. Is it piping or sweeties suck on? Very effective.

Katiecakes said...

Haha, sweetcorn :p I piped it. I think it looks quite cute but next time I'm going to try lines on the bottom.

Katie xox

Heavenly Housewife said...

That is so adorable. Using fair trade sugar makes it even more sweet.
*kisses* HH