25 May 2010

Vegan Carrot Cake

It's May 25th and National Vegetarian Week is upon us.  In honor of this I haven't touched meat since Monday, it's been tough.  Hold on, it's only Tuesday isn't it? Hot damn! I wonder if I'll stay strong enough to make it through.  A few weeks a go I asked a good friend, and one of the best veggie chefs I know, how he came to be such a great cook.  He told me it's all part and parcel with being a vegetarian. Once you eliminate meat from your diet you have to start getting more creative with your tastes and textures, it's the key to sticking it out.   So, till Sunday I will be saying good bye to the meat and hello to the colourful yumminess that is vegetarian cuisine.

To tell you the truth, it's not that tough for me.  I've always been a big meat eater but growing up in a house with 3 boys and a vegetarian mother often meant that I'd be left with the veggie choice while the boys chowed down on sausages and bacon.  Over the years I came to prefer it, and will often go down the none meaty road to full tummyville when given the choice, I just like the taste and texture of meat too much to ever contemplate giving it up.


Anyway, I thought this was a perfect time to post a delicious vegan carrot cake.  Yup, no animal produce what so ever!  This cake was a breeze to make and baked up beautifully and the frosting was to die for.  Also, with no eggs and butter you can almost get away with eating twice as much ;)


Vegan Carrot Cake
(recipe adapted from BBC Good Food)

250g Wholemeal self-raising flour 
1 tbsp Baking powder
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Ground nutmeg
130g Vegan Marg, I used Pure
130g Light brown sugar
250g Carrots, grated
1 Medium banana mashed
1 Orange, rind zested and juiced

For the frosting I used my cup measures, I'm not too sure why but for some reason to me it made sense at the time...

1/2 cup vegan marg
1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
4 cups icing sugar
1tsp vanilla extract

  
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Lightly grease a 18cm round or 20cm square tin. 

Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large bowl. 

Melt the margarine in a pan, add the sugar and stir until dissolved. 

Make a well in the flour mixture, then add the margarine and sugar. Mix in the carrots, banana and orange zest and juice. 

Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top with the back of a spoon. 

Bake for around 40 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. allow to cool before removing from the tin. 

For the frosting cream the marg and cream cheese together till well mixed.

Add the icing sugar half a cup at a time, turning the mixer up to a high speed for several seconds between each addition.


Mix in vanilla extract and spread generously over the cake.

13 comments:

Rosy said...

I had no idea it was vegetarian week! We've ended up eating a whole heap more veggie stuff since getting the Ottolenghi cookbooks. If you need ideas, he has a column in the Guardian that has AMAZING veggie recipes. Soooooooooo good. Totally agree with your friend though! So much harder to make an aubergine taste nice than, say, a steak.

That's one great looking cake! Might have to branch out into vegan bakery - you always make it look so yummy and yes, I'm convinced it's then ok to eat twice as much ;-) xx

Chele said...

Mmmmmmmmmm- going to have to give that icing a try ;0)

Joanne said...

I'm a lot like you. I eat mostly vegetarian but enjoy pulled pork way too much to give up meat entirely. This vegan cake looks delicious!

Jacqueline said...

Good for you Katie, I am impressed and I am impressed by this cake too. I am not ususally blown away by carrot cake, but I want to make this one, it must be the addition of banana and that lovely frosting. You presented beautifully as ever :)

Hilary said...

I'm often a bit dubious of vegan cakes but carrot cake strikes me as one that would work really well. I've often wondered about vegan icings - I had no idea you could buy cream cheese substitutes!

Bonny said...

Every week is vegetarian week for me :D, but I am loving this recipe.

Also I am loving what your chef friend said: "He told me it's all part and parcel with being a vegetarian. Once you eliminate meat from your diet you have to start getting more creative with your tastes and textures, it's the key to sticking it out."

Being Veggie is the reason I started cooking, and probably the reason I love cooking too. Anyways, I know I converted my Mr. he loves my meat-free food muchly.

Anyway, sorry for the long comment and loving the recipe!

Katiecakes said...

Hilary, it's quite widely available now. One of the better known brands is Pure which they sell in asda. It's super tasty!!!

Katie xox

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

love your blog and your photos as always.

I also SERIOUSLY love carrot cake !

....it's just TOO good :-)

Cake_Girl said...

Just discovered your blog - I'll definitely be popping back. I love carrot cake, love the sound of this!

Emmalene said...

Ditto Cake_Girl. I've just discovered your blog. it's lovely. I've been blogging veggie food this week too! x

hotovenwarmheart said...

Hi Katie!

Lovely to hear from you as always :) Thank you for complementing my crimping skills- can I just tell you, you totally made my day! I even told my Mom that your comment was just the boost I needed and made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, haha! You're always so sweet and encouraging... thank you for your thoughtful comments!

Now on to your vegan carrot cake- I have yet to make a vegan dessert (at least an intentional one!) but I'll definitely have to bookmark this one if I'm ever in need. Yours looks DELISH! Great job! I'm sorry you didn't have a chance to make the Coconut Custard Pie, but I highly recommend it. I think it was one of my family's favorite SMS recipes thus far (and you know that's saying something!)

Hope you're having a great first day of June. Can't wait to talk to you again soon... hopefully after some thumbprint action goes down in both our kitchens!

<3,
Joy

Brownieville Girl said...

Have to give this a go Katie - I wonder of I could use apple sauce instead of the vegan marg - to make it even more saintly!!

Great blog.

Rose said...

YUM! looks delicious. I love carrot cake :)

Rose