11 Jun 2010

Strawberry Ice Cream Cupcakes

Lordy lordy have I been busy today.  The eve of the Newcastle Eat Festival is finally upon us and kitchens all over the North East have been churning out delicious treats, and mine is no exception! I've been baking away since 8.30am and finally I have downed tools for the evening and treat myself to a well deserved cup of Earl Grey.  Phew!

One of my many, many projects for the day is something I've been meaning to make for a long time now.  I did try once before and well, let's just say it didn't quite work to plan..... After my last attempt I have been a little nervous of making these adorable treats, especially for a Pet Lamb event when every failure costs money.  But, since we'll be one of many cupcake companies this weekend, I threw caution to the wind and gave the Ice Cream Cupcake another chance.


Aren't they just so damned cute?!  I just keep opening the box and gazing upon their sweetness.  Wanna know how to make them?  Well read on...

Strawberry Ice Cream Cupcakes
(Adapted from the primrose bakery)

110g butter
125g plain flour
150g self raising flour
225g caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
120ml milk
2 free range eggs
12 flat bottomed ice cream cones

Frosting:
110g butter
350g icing sugar
2/3 tsp milk
A few drops of red food colouring
1tsp strawberry flavouring (don't worry about getting the real stuff, you want that synthetic taste to give an authentic strawberry ice cream flavour)

First preheat the oven to 180C or 160C fan assisted and line a muffin tray with flat bottomed ice cream cones.

Cream together the sugar and butter till light and creamy.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition. Sift together the two flours into a bowl and add the vanilla extract to the milk.

Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the batter alternating with 1/2 of the milk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour.  Fill each cone 3/4 full of the batter making sure not to over fill as the mixture will rise and bubble over the sides.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.

One cool make the frosting by combining the butter with the icing sugar.  Add the milk, spoon by spoon until you achieve the correct piping consistency.

Add the food colouring, the strawberry flavouring, fill your piping bag and ice away :)

15 comments:

Lora said...

these are adorable!

Lucie said...

Love, love, love these! How do you always get things so neat? I am very jealous :) Lucie x

Emmalene said...

I HAVE to try these...I have an enormous craving for ice cream at the minute, and those pictures are not helping!!

Tia said...

super cute!!!

Chele said...

They look great Katie - and far more professional looking then mine which had the cupcake oozing over the top of the ice cream cone. I'd buy a whole batch of these ones ;0)

Eliana said...

Look at those lil beauties. Gorgeous.

Stella said...

looks Yammy
is a funny, wonderful idea, I must also try out times, looks delicious
from Germany

colehillkitchen said...

I was literally just saying the other day that I want to make these ice cream cone cupcakes soon!! can't wait to have a go, these look delicious!! Becca :-)

Bonny said...

Lovely, they are so going in my wedding dessert buffet!

Lauryn said...

omg these are so so SOOOO cute! Love your blog! You are very talented!

Marthe said...

Sooo adorable!!

Sugar Betty said...

Love the creative variation! Bravo!

Thanks for baking along! xo

Mansi said...

What a neat and adorable idea! I am so trying these over the weekend!!

do send it in for the Magic Bullet recipe contest/giveaway hosted on my blog:)Your recipe could win you a Free Magic Bullet To Go!

sunita said...

These are so pretty; can't wait to give them a try. Thanks Katie :-)

Meagan said...

These are awesome! Any tips on keeping them upright throughout the baking process? I foresee tipped cones going in or out of the oven. We made these when I was a kid, but we used to microwave them (gag)