photo m

Pages

22 Jul 2010

Raspberry Loaf with Lime Drizzle

There's something oddly comforting about a loaf cake, every scrumptious mouthful just reminds me of a warm and secure hug from my dear mother.  Strangely enough, I only ever seem to bake loaf cakes when faced with the grey and miserable weather that has become some synonymous with my fair city.  It must be something about overcast skies that leave me craving for something homely.

Sure it's hot in Newcastle at the moment, well not so much hot as muggy, clammy, oppressive...you see where I'm going.  But with the heat has came rain, in bucket loads.  Never before has living by the river been so scary.  My phone is constantly buzzing with complaints from friends about the horrid weather, how fed up everyone is of being stuck in doors and how they wish they were sunning themselves on a beach in the Caribbean.  I'm almost ashamed to admit that I love it, almost.  Warm rain is my very favorite kind of weather, closely followed by cold rain.  I just love the rain, especially when its beating my windows, lulling me to sleep.  Ahhhhh.



This sudden onslaught of Autumnal weather has left me wanting, and the thing I want is loaf cake.  In an almost hypnotic trance I began collecting ingredients from the fridge and laying them out upon my kitchen counter.  I was faced with a punnet of raspberries, a handful of strawberries a little past their best and 4 limes, probably left over from a gin and tonic binge a few nights previous.  I decided the strawberries would be better used in a breakfast smoothie so banished them to the freezer and set about making a raspberry and lime drizzle loaf cake.  Why not.

Man oh man was this delicious.  The tangy bite from the fruit was perfectly reminiscent of the summer we are supposed to be experiencing but the dense, crumbly crumb was just perfect for what we're actually getting.  This really is the ultimate rainy summers day recipe.  Give it a go!

Raspberry Loaf Cake with Lime Drizzle
(adapted from Sainsbury's Magazine)

225g unsalted butter, softened
200g caster sugar
4 large eggs
zest of 2 limes
225g plain flour
2tsp baking powder
125g raspberries

Juice of 2 limes
50g caster sugar

Preheat oven to 180C.  Line a 2lb none stick loaf tin with nonstick baking paper.

Put all of the ingredients, except the raspberries, into a large bowl and beat together with an electric hand whisk or mixer, until smooth and combined.  Stir in raspberries by hand.

Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.  Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the loaf.

While the loaf is cooling mix together the lime juice and caster sugar.  Poke deep holes into the loaf using a baking skewer and spoon the mixture over the top of the cake.  Leave to cool in the tin before turning out.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

15 comments:

How To Be Perfect said...

This sounds great, I love a loaf cake too x

Mrs. G said...

Sounds delicious.

Maria♥ said...

That is pure yummyness!

Maria
x

Lora said...

Love the flavors. Looks delish!

Joanne said...

I recently made a blueberry lime loaf cake that was amazing....but I think raspberry makes for such a better pairing. Total comfort food!

Chele said...

Blue skies in Edinburgh today ;0)
Thanks for sharing this recipe, I will be making this very soon!

ajcabuang04 said...

YUM!! This looks really good!

Tracey said...

Love the flavours of raspberry and lime-looks delicious! Would love to have a little rain here as don´t feel much like baking/cooking-it´s far too hot!

colehillkitchen said...

ooh delicious!! know exactly what you mean about the weather - where has our nice summer gone???

Becca :-)

Eliana said...

This looks like THE perfect loaf cake :) Love the pop of color from the raspberries.

the crafty currant said...

this looks fab. a beauty for sunday night tea. I can't have white flour so ill try it with spelt flour and let you know the results. Loving the blog btw xx

Anne said...

I really like the idea of combining raspberries and lime in a cake, though when I do buy raspberries they don't always make it home....;-)

Sweet and Savory said...

What a beautiful color, the raspberries leave. This looks like a soothing cake.

Rose said...

This cake looks so delicious! I love raspberries.

Rose

Jacqueline said...

Wow, that looks great Katie. Never mind left over raspberries, I am going out to buy some just to make this. Inspired!