photo m

Pages

27 Aug 2010

Almond and Pistachio Bundt Cake

Have I mentioned my new favorite magazine yet?  I probably have, you're probably sick of hearing me tweet about all of the delicious things I discover within its pages.  No, it's not Delicious, nor is it BBC Good Food (although I hold both dear to my heart), it's actually the Sainsbury's Magazine.  I know, it's mad!  Every month I pick this little beauty up with my shopping and drool over the scrumptious recipes the whole car ride home, bookmarking the best for consumption.  Last month one page I just kept flicking back to was the page containing this almond and pistachio bundt cake.  You all know my love of bundt cakes, my love of pistachios and of course, my love of cake.  What was I waiting for?!


This cake certainly lived up to all of my expectations.  The taste was just out of this world and I was in visual heaven with the bright green frosting.  I just wish I'd coloured my pistachio swirl a little more vivid.  Well, there's always next time. And yes, there bloody well will be a next time!

Marbled Pistachio Cake
(Adapted from Sainsbury's Magazine)

175g soft, unsalted butter
225g golden caster sugar
3 medium eggs
100ml skimmed milk
225g self raising flour
1 1/2tps baking powder
50g ground, unsalted pistachios
50g ground almonds
1tsp almond essence
green food colouring

For the icing
100g icing sugar
1/4tsp almond essence
green food colouring
1tbsp ground unsalted pistachios

Preheat the oven to 190C, fan 170C and butter a 22cm nonstick bundt tin.  Cream the butter and sugar together before adding the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition.  Add the milk, don't worry if the mixture curdles at this point.  Combine the flour and baking powder and add to the mixture, beat until creamy then divide between two bowls.

Fold the ground almonds & almond essence into one half of the cake mixture and the pistachios & green food colouring into the other.  Drop alternating spoon fulls of each mixture into the tin. Gently smooth the surface and bake for 30 - 35 minutes.  Let cool in tin for 10 minutes then run a clean knife around the edges of the cake and turn out to finish cooling on a wire rack.

Blend the icing sugar with a tablespoon of water, the almond essence and the green food colouring.  Keep adding a few drops of water at a time until you reach a nice, thick consistency.  Drizzle over the cake before scattering the top with the chopped pistachios.  Leave to set for an hour.... if you can.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

21 comments:

Suelle said...

This looks lovely, and I'm sure it's delicious too! The only thing which annoys me about pistachios in cakes is that you do need to add green colour to get the best effect from their use.

C said...

Your cake looks gorgeous Katie, and so well presented. I know what you mean about bundt cakes - they look special even before you've iced them I always think.

Totally agree with you about Sainsbury's Magazine - it's such a gem, there are usually loads and loads of things I want to make or bake in it and it's such a reasonable price, especially when you compare it to BBC mags and Delicious (which I also love!!!). Long may Sains mag carry on!

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

fab photo - looks just like the magazine. Well done !

I've torn the page out and it's sitting on my kitchen counter. I was thinking about making it as a late celebratory birthday cake for a friend .....

Katie said...

This sounds amazing - I can see your pistachio swirl. I quite like the sains mag too.

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) said...

Beautiful recipe, and what a glorious image! Your cake looks so fantastic, and I think I'll be cooking this in the near future :)

Rose said...

mmm yum! I love pistachios and almond flavour, so i bet i would love this one too.
The only thing would be finding unsalted pistachos at a reasonable price!

Rose

Helen said...

I've never really thought to pick up the Sainsburys magazine but I must just give it a try. Your cake looks fab.

Chef Bee said...

What a special cake. I love surprising guests with a cool recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Plan B

Pam said...

Your cake looks great and I love about anything with pistachios so will have to try this!

Cats_cupcakes said...

I picked up a copy of this sainsburys magazine y'day..i had a flick through it in store and when i saw this recipe thought i had to buy it so i could make it! Couldn't believe it when i saw your blog today hehe..it looks yummy. Glad to see you got good results with the recipe...will definitely be giving this a try :)

Megan said...

Ooh! Thank you for sharing. My boyfriend loves pistachio bundt cake, but the only way I ever knew to make it was with yellow cake mix and pistachio pudding mix. I would so much rather bake something from scratch. I'm bookmarking this recipe.

Maria♥ said...

Katie, I spotted this cake in GF magazine and fell in love! Your cake looks beautiful and I just love that pistachio colour. I'm definitely going to make this soon.

Maria
x

Maria♥ said...

Opps sorry it was in the Sainsburys magazine, not Good Food, getting myself all confused! ;op

Si said...

Never heard of this magazine. Maybe it's only sold in the UK? This cake looks delish. Different. Haven't seen one like it before. thanks for posting.

Helen said...

Hi

I've tagged on you on an award on my blog : )

http://halfapotofcream.blogspot.com/

Sweet and Savory said...

Everyone has said anything I would say so I just want to add, this is one fabulous cake.

Not a cop=out. Just tired.

Anne said...

My two favourite nuts in cake form, whats not to like? Looks really delicious, my kinda cake too as love anything nutty!

Sanchita Karmakar said...

Delicious looking cake..Glad to find your blog. :)

Eliana said...

WOW - it definitely looks out of this world. Love all the flavors too.

marzipan said...

It's funny you mention that magazine! I was on an airplane several months ago and the person next to me was reading that magazine. It wasn't one I was familiar with and I thought I knew about them all. I couldn't resist peeking at it while trying not to appear nosy. It looked like a great magazine! I never got up the nerve to ask if I could look at it when she was finished but when I got home, I searched it on the computer only to find that it's a British supermarket publication (I live in the state of Pennsylvania). You can get the recipes online, but it's just not the same as holding a great magazine in your hands. Thanks for reminding me to check out the site again. This recipe looks fantastic!

keri said...

The cake really looks so awesome. I definitely love it. I can't wait to try this one.
dining room table