30 Oct 2010

On the second day of Halloween my true love gave to me..

In my eyes, Halloween is right up there with Christmas in the favorite holiday stakes! This year I'm making Halloween stretch the full weekend to squeeze out every last piece of enjoyment possible.  In celebration of this I've made a few delicious Halloween themed treats which I will be posting over the weekend.  

Yesterdays installment of Cupcakes from Beyond the Grave went down a storm at Pet Lambs event last night, as did these Hooting Halloween Owl cupcakes.  Those bad boys stole the show :)

I made a few adjustments to the recipe due to my cupcakes not rising as much as they should have.  This was due to me not reading the recipe properly and failing to fill the cupcake liners to the top so rather than using the tops of the cakes to create the eyebrows I used giant chocolate buttons.  I piped the frosting in my usual swirl to give the owl a bit of a bigger face and used orange candy melts for the beak.  I can't for the life of me find those little jelly diamonds anywhere, odd as I remember them being abundant when I was a kid.

You can find the recipe on the BBC Good Food site.

13 comments:

Chele said...

How cute! Very impressed ;0)

Kulsum said...

very impressive indeed!

Maryrose said...

I have a craving for Halloween owls now lol I might give it a go! yum.

You did a great job!

novemberconfessions.blogspot.com

Xiaolu said...

Great cupcakes. Very cute! Awesome piping skills too. I could stand to take some lessons from you 8).

Southern Princess said...

They are so cool! Great job! xoxo sweetmagnoliacupcakes.blogspot.com

Kim said...

very cute! perfect for the fall.

kim
http://www.lovintheoven.com

Cats_cupcakes said...

These are so cute...absolutely adore them! Know what you mean about the jelly diamonds though.. they seemed to be everywhere when I was little but never see them now!

LilaVanilla said...

Loving the owl cuppies! So cute. I managed to find jelly diamonds in the 'cooks ingredients' section at Waitrose :)

PinkBow said...

I am not surprised these went down a storm. LOVE them!

Harriet said...

Gosh these are so cute! You're making me hungry and I only just had dinner!

Eliana said...

These are the cutest little cupcakes I have seen in a long time. They look so festive and of course, super delish!

matbakhun said...

nice blog and please check out my new post on :http://matbakhun.blogspot.com/

Peggy said...

These look absolutely adorable! Great improvisation!