20 Nov 2010

Awesome things I bought in America - Part Three

Next on my huge list of kitchenalia I stuffed in my suitcase is this amazingly awesome 'oreo' cake pan!  I bloody love this pan, I just can't get enough of it!  The fact that the cakes taste like giant brownies rather than a normal layer cake probably adds to my adoration!

 How cool is that?!  But no, that doesn't mean you get to eat the whole thing with a cup of tea ;)


Total wow factor right there!!  But, just because you don't have this cake pan doesn't mean you can't bake this totally yummy brownie cake for yourself, just use two 9" cake pans instead :D

Ingredients:


1/2 cup cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
7 oz. bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
14 Tbs. (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
1 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
12 Tbs. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter

3 1/2 Tbs. milk, plus more, if needed
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of kosher salt 

Method:


Preheat an oven to 350°F (180 C). Using a small pastry brush, grease 2 sandwich cookie cake pans with shortening or softened butter, making sure to coat the details and crevices in the pans. Dust thoroughly with cocoa powder; tap out excess. (Bake Easy people, get some! I didn't dust either).

To make the cakes, put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and microwave until melted, stirring once, about 1 1/2 minutes. Alternatively, put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set over but not touching barely simmering water in a saucepan. Melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally. Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the butter, a few pieces at a time, until blended. Let the chocolate mixture cool slightly.

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, the 1/2 cup cocoa powder, the baking powder and salt until combined. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla until well combined. Add the chocolate mixture and whisk until incorporated.

 (I tempered the egg mixture by adding only spoonfuls of the melted chocolate mixture at a time initially).

Whisk in the flour mixture until combined. Divide the batter between the prepared pans and spread evenly. Gently tap the pans on the counter to release any air bubbles. Bake until the tops of the cakes are shiny and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few crumbs attached, about 35 minutes.

Transfer the pans to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes, then invert the cakes onto a cutting board.

Meanwhile, make the buttercream frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, combine the confectioners’ sugar, butter, the 3 1/2 Tbs. milk, the vanilla and salt and beat on low speed until combined, about 1 minute. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Increase the speed to medium and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. If the frosting is dry, add more milk, 1 tsp. at a time, until it is creamy but still holds peaks.

Using a large spatula, carefully turn 1 cake over so the printed side faces down. Spread the buttercream evenly over the flat side of the cake. Place the second cake, printed side up, on top.

10 comments:

PinkBow said...

i love this accessory, no wonder you love it too!

daisychain said...

I need that pan in my life! AMAZING.

Confectionary Designs said...

Super cool pan! Thanks for sharing.

Cupcake Crazy Gem said...

I have admired that pan for many many months and on many different blogs...so jealous you now own one!! Man I love America! I'm guessing you took minimal clothes and just stuffed your case with baking goodies! that's what I always do!

Chele said...

That has got to be the coolest cake pan I have ever seen. Fantastic idea.

Katiecakes said...

I actually took loads of cheap dresses over there and ditched them in the bin when I was coming home! More room for cake pans :p

My case was 0.5lbs under the limit too haha!

Katie xox

Anne said...

I *love* your cake tin! Its so cool and cute!

Serina said...

New follower! I just saw your cupcakes and they look absolutely amazing!

Forgive me if you've already done this, but would you mind doing a cupcake tutorial for beginners?

Serina x

Janice said...

Fab-u-lous!

Midnight Cowgirl said...

Love the cake pan!