photo m

Pages

14 Dec 2010

Florentines

Florentines have been on my to bake list for weeks and weeks but every time I get myself geared up to make them something always pops up and throws a little spanner in my works.  Not today, no siree!  Today my plans involved the sofa, copious amounts of Ringtons tea, cuddles with my furry children and florentines! Nothing would stand in my way, except maybe a nap... I jest, I jest.  I didn't nap, I'm a good girl you see and naps make me a cranky mean face. Well, a crankier meaner face as my fiancee would say.


These florentines couldn't be easier to make, the cutting out part however is a bit more tricky.  It isn't difficult to do per say, more it's a bit of a faff and boy do you need a whole bucket load of elbow grease!  If I can offer you a Katie tested recommendation, do what I did and hammer your cookie cutters through the candy with a big arsed pan! That'll do it!


My very favorite thing about this recipe is once you're finished stamping out your florentines and packing them up in pretty little packages you can nibble on all the broken remains. Totally guiltless, don't you agree?

Cherry & Coconut Florentines
(Adapted from BBC Good Food Magazine)

Ingredients
140g light muscovado sugar
100g clear honey
200g salted butter
100g desiccated coconut
140g flaked almonds
300g glacé cherries , sliced
4 tbsp plain flour
400g dark chocolate (you could use milk or light too)
Edible glitter

Method: 
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the sugar, honey and butter in a large pan and gently melt together. When all the sugar has dissolved stir in the coconut, flaked almonds, sliced cherries and flour. 

Line a large baking tray with baking parchment (about 40 x 30cm), and roughly spread the Florentine mixture out to a thin layer - don't worry if you have small gaps, it should melt together in the oven. Bake for 10-12 mins until a rich golden colour, then set aside to cool and firm up. 

Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over gently simmering water. Line a second large tray or board with baking parchment and carefully flip the cooled Florentine bake onto it. Peel off the baking parchment. Spread the melted chocolate over, if you're using a few types just leave a gap between each. 

Leave aside until set, then stamp out shapes using cookie star cutters - if the cutter is digging into your hands (as the Florentine mix may be a little hard), rest a small plate or pan on top of it and push down on this instead. Or do what I did and attack it with a pan! Finish your adorable cookies with a sprinkle of edible glitter for a bit of festive glamor!



 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

11 comments:

Sarah, Maison Cupcake said...

I really really love that these are star shaped, Florentines are wonderfully Christmassy anyway but this takes them to another level.

Peacock's Hat said...

These look gorgeous, although I do admit cherries are my least favourite part of florentines. But I feel the star shape makes up for that :)

Suelle said...

They look well worth the effort of cutting them. Beautiful!

daisychain said...

These are absolutley the most beautiful florentines I have seen! I haven't made any for years, now I'm desperate to.

tam said...

Wow those look delicious and so pretty! I love your photos and am looking forward to reading your blog x x

Sweet & Savory Summer said...

These look both beautiful and delicious- I'm adding them on my list to bake over Christmas :)

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

excellent Katie - these look beautiful.

I did laugh at the whacking it with a pan....

I made a Christmas (birthday) cake last week. The trimmings were all mine ! I'm still working my way through them a tiny bit at a time...

Katie said...

They look gorgeous and I love the glitter and star design. I've been meaning to try making these myself but keep puting it off - maybe this year....

Chele said...

Well they look totally worth the effort ... and with a few tidbits for cooks perks too ;0)

Janice said...

Florentines are my favourites!

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) said...

These are so gorgeous, I love the all bagged up