photo m

Pages

13 Jan 2011

Bow Cupcake Tutorial


Since posting my valentines cupcakes I've received several requests for a tutorial on how to make little fondant bow toppers for your cupcake creations.  So, without further ado, I am pleased to present my tutorial: 
How To Make Fondant Bows.


First of all take a small ball of your favorite coloured fondant and roll it out to around 3mm thick.  I find it easier to roll my fondant out between two sheets of clingfilm.  Keeps your surfaces tidy and it means less cleaning up later ;)

Take a sharp knife and cut out two rectangles. One short and fat, remember the width of this rectangle will be the size of your bow, and one long and thin.


Put the thin strip of fondant to one side while you work on your bow.  Taking the fat strip of fondant fold each end of the strip into the centre press the join gently to secure it then flip it over, hiding the seam.


With your thumb and index finger pinch the middle of the folded fondant so it resembles a bow shape.  Cut a short length of fondant from your thin strip.


Wrap the small strip of fondant around the middle of your bow and pinch to secure the join.  


Now retrieve your thin section of fondant and cut it in half.  These will be your ribbons so cut them down if you feel they're a little too long.


Taking a sharp knife, carefully cut out two tiny v shapes from one end of each of your ribbons and discard the triangles of fondant.


Take a prettily iced cupcake and gently press your ribbons onto the top of the frosting, the join will be covered by the bow.


Press your finished bow into the top of the frosting, covering the join of the ribbons.


Dust liberally with edible glitter, stand back and admire your beautiful creation.

I really do hope you found this helpful.  If you find yourself having a go, please comment with a link to your blog post, I'd love to see what you come up with.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

22 comments:

Katie said...

That's great! Thanks, will have to try these. Can you also show how to make the roses - pretty please! They're beautiful!!

Chele said...

Very helpful - thanks very much. My friend has just asked me to make some cupcakes for her wedding so I'll be putting this post to some good use ;0)

Katiecakes said...

Thanks guys :)

Katie - I'd be delighted to do another tutorial for the roses. Keep your eyes peeled ;)

xoxo

Clare said...

I would be terrified of pressing too hard and squashing that beautiful swirl of icing. But maybe one day I'll have a go!

These really are works of art.

Michelle said...

Ah, they're so cute! Perfect for a topping on a Valentine's day cupcake, I'll definitely be remembering this!

thegilzo said...

Great tutorial! Must try this very soon. thanks

E is for Eleanor said...

Just beautiful! Such a great tutorial :) x

Helen said...

Oh these are gorgeous! I will definitely be trying this out :)

that kate said...

Your blog is extremely inspiring! Everything you make looks delicious :) These bows are wonderful!

How To Be Perfect said...

Great tutoril!

I'm finally going to film my teddy bear tutorial next week, I'm nervous! I love bows on cupcakes and yours are always lovely, brilliant post in time for cute valentines cuppies. x

PinkBow said...

love love love...i would love to try this.

Katiecakes said...

Oh I would love to see your teddy tutorial! Your cupcake toppers are to die for!

You're so brave filming it though, I'd be so nervous! I'll be the first person to have a go though :)

Katie xox

Katiecakes said...

Paula, you'll have to make little pink bows for your cupcakes ;)

Katie xox

Cupcake Crazy Gem said...

Wow look at that mound of frosting! yummy! Thanks for showing us how to do these.
I've tagged you in a question time award thing over on my blog if you fancy doing it.

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

cute bows - and how simple ! I reckon even I can manage that :-) Need to remember for next time I'm makin cupcakes.

Smeeeff said...

You make it look so easy!

Jenny J said...

Thank you thank you! I have been looking for something exactly like this to help me win my fight with fondant! You made it look easy. Cross those fingers for me.

Sarah, Maison Cupcake said...

You've shown how easy this is, I must must try it. Thanks.

Tereza said...

Very Cute cupcake! thanks for showing how to make the bow.

Amanda said...

Is to possible to post the recipe for the cupcakes and frosting? It would be great! Thanks :)

Krystle & Felicity said...

These looks perfect! I love your blog. I cannot believe that I've only just found it. It's so inspiring (and also bad for my diabetes lol)! :p

Traylor Made Treats said...

This was very helpful! Thank you!