5 Jan 2011

Peanut Butter Krispie Bars

Today was supposed to be my first day back to work, the end of the holidays, back to the grind.  Alas, I was cruelly struck down with a vicious cold thus forced to bid farewell to my fiancee and stay home.  The truth is, I'd rather be at work than stuck indoors all day with a raging fever and pounding head.  The only thing I could do to quell my boredom and illness was to drag my sorry self into the kitchen and make some peanut butter krispie bars.  Not only did it relieve a little of my cabin fever (see what I did there, bored but ill..oh never mind) but it won't half earn me some brownie points when the boy gets home!


This recipe is from Baked - New Frontiers in Baking and is the first installment of my New Years Resolution.  I've resurrected last years resolution of making something from each of my cookbooks and blogging the results. Stay tuned to see how I do in cooking Katies books!

Peanut Butter Krispy Bars

Ingredients

For the krispie layer:
1 3/4 cups of rice krispies
1/4 cup sugar
3tbsp golden syrup
3tbsp butter, melted

For the chocolate peanut butter layer:
5 ounces milk chocolate (I used dark, therefore I had no colour difference between the layers)
1 cup smooth peanut butter

For the chocolate icing:
3 ounces dark chocolate
1/2tsb golden syrup
4tbsp butter

Method:
Grease the bottom and sides of an 8" square baking pan.  Pour the rice krispies into a bowl and set aside.

Pour 1/4 cup of water into a small saucepan, add the sugar and the syrup being careful not to get any on the sides of the pan.  Stir gently to combine and set over a medium heat.  Cook the caramel until a candy thermometer reaches 235C or soft ball stage.

Remove from the head and pour over the rice krispies.  Working quickly, stir the cereal thoroughly until evenly coated in the caramel.  Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press the mixture into an even layer using your hands.  Let the crust cool to room temperature while you make the next layer.

In a small saucepan over a medium heat melt together the peanut butter and chocolate until smooth.  Remove from the heat and continue to stir for 30 seconds to cool slightly.  Pour the mixture over the prepared crust and place into the fridge for one hour or until the top layer hardens.

Once cool make the chocolate icing.  In a large glass bowl combine the chocolate, butter and syrup.  Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, ensuring that the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water.  Stir the chocolate and butter until melted and smooth, remove from the heat and pour over the peanut butter layer.  Shake the tin gently to allow the chocolate to spread evenly.  Place the tin into the fridge for one hour or until hard.

Cut into 9 squares before serving.  These bars will keep for up to 4 days tightly wrapped in the fridge.

12 comments:

tam said...

Yummy they look insanely good! x x

Helen said...

I've got the Baked book too, I really want to make these! They look so yummy.

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

Love the topping on this - it looks EVIL !!!

I bet they win you loads of brownie points when "he" gets home :-)

Happy New Year

Katiecakes said...

It's fab isn't it?!

I got their latest book for Christmas, Baked Expectations. There's just so much I want to get making!

Katie xox

darcyeats said...

My oh my, these treats look scrumptious. I've been meaning to recapture my childhood with some rice krispie treats...I think I may have just found the inspiration! Great idea for a new years resolution!

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) said...

I hope you feel better soon..I always turn to baking when I'm sick/bored too. These look absolutely INSANELY good!

Chele said...

They look like a real treat. Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well, hope your back on your feet again soon.

Nic's Notebook said...

Ooooh yummy! I too have been feeling yuk so you have my sympathy. Hope we feel better soon xx

Beth (Jam and Clotted Cream) said...

Wow - these look amazing. Sorry you're ill. I've had a flu like virsu for 3 weeks now - annoying!!

daisychain said...

oh my god, YUM! *saves to bake list*

How To Be Perfect said...

These look drop dead delicious. x

Abbie said...

Just discovered your blog and I've already fallen in love with it! I'm going to methodically work my way through all these gorgeous recipes!! Hope you have a lovely weekend!