7 Jan 2011

Vanilla Marshmallows

It's snowing again! Just when the sludge had melted and the roads were finally clear its all began again. I wish I could be among those pick cheeked snow lovers, willing blizzards to blanket their street in white fluffy loveliness.  I wish I could frolic in the garden, building snowmen and starting snowball fights with the neighbors.  Unfortunately, snow is the coldsore on the face of business ownership!  I find myself grimacing out the window, hoping it sods off in time for the busy weekend ahead.  So, everyone, join me in crossing your fingers and wishing for rain. Just this once!

But, I might as well make the best of it.  I mean, it looks pretty falling from the clouds and I much prefer the cold to the sun.  I guess today is the day I finally get around to trying my hand at home made marshmallows.  Boy am I looking forward to my first cup of hot chocolate, studded with little fluffy icebergs of vanilla filled goodness.



Vanilla Marshmallows
(Adapted from BBC Good Food)

Ingredients:
50g icing sugar
50g cornflour
9 leaves of gelatin
450g granulated sugar
1 tbsp liquid glucose (find it in the baking aisle)
2 large egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract (or any other flavour you desire) 
Pink food colouring (optional)

Method:
In a bowl, mix the icing sugar with the cornflour and set aside. Dissolve the gelatin in 150ml hot water in a heatproof jug. Line a 20cm x 30cm tin with baking parchment and dust with some of the icing sugar mix. Put the granulated sugar and liquid glucose in a heavy-bottomed pan with 200ml water. Cook over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved completely, turn up the heat and boil until the mixture reaches firm ball stage on a sugar thermometer (125C/256F) - around 10-15 mins. If you don't have a thermometer, drop a little of the mix into a glass of very cold water - if it sets into a squidgy ball, it's ready. While the sugar is boiling, use an electric whisk to beat the egg whites until stiff. When the syrup reaches the right stage, pour it into the jug with the gelatin water; be careful as it will be very hot and may bubble up. 

Continue whisking the egg whites while pouring on the syrup in a steady stream, then adding the vanilla extract - the mixture will go shiny and start to thicken. Continue whisking for about 10 mins until very stiff. Pour the egg white mixture into the tin and leave somewhere cool and dry to set for at least 2 hrs until firm. 

Lay a large sheet of baking parchment on a chopping board and sprinkle on the remaining icing sugar mix. Turn the marshmallows out and cut into squares, rolling them in the sugar mix. Keep in an airtight container but best eaten on the day.

9 comments:

Chele said...

They turned out really well, but can I be honest and admit that I kinda like the snow!!! But seeing as it is you and you have asked for rain I will keep my fingers crossed for you ;0)

How To Be Perfect said...

Your marshmallows look perfect and I love your tea cup. x

How To Be Perfect said...

Your marshmallows look perfect and I love your tea cup. x

Helen said...

I've always wanted to try making marshmallows, although I don't even really like marshmallows! I have found a new love for them in hot chocolates though when they go all gooey hmmm yum. These look PERFECT, I am sure my attempts would not be this good.

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) said...

They look so perfect! Enjoy your hot chocolate and marshmallows; great combination for cold weather.

Chele said...

PS - ended up snowing here too!!! Call me fickle but after a wee slip on the resulting ice this morning I am now TOTALLY over snow ;0(

Walnuts and Honey said...

These look amazing! i dare not make them myself but now im really hungry... Really nice blog and im loving the pictures. Will be coming back. Feel free to stop by mine for some ideas, although yours trumps mine x10 haha! Keep up the good work :D

that kate said...

These look wonderful! I bet in some hot choc they are a real delight!

ricacyrus said...

These are wonderful marshmallows! I am definitely going to try this one. Thanks a lot.
amish bed frame