18 Feb 2011

Afternoon Tea: Betty's Tea Room

After my delivery boy upped sticks and moved to sunny Barcelona my intake of delicious treats from the famous tea room Betty's has declined dramatically.  Now I have to wait for Kris to be in a driving mood before I beg for a day out in Harrogate or York.  Luckily for me Kris felt guilty about leaving me home alone for a lads night out and I saw my chance.  This time, I had Northallerton in my sights for a spot of charity shopping and of course, Afternoon Tea at Betty's.
 























The savory selection at Betty's is one of my very favorites, the beetroot and goats cheese sandwich is just amazing! Unfortunately, the cakes don't quite meet the same standard as the sandwiches and scones but who cares when you have lashings of caramalised onion chutney and smoked chicken, yum!

Of course, no trip to Betty's would be complete without a visit to the shop. Sadly this branch didn't stock macarons so I had to make do with a selection of adorable treats including my very favorite, marzipan cauliflower.




I think Northallerton Betty's is my favorite of the group. Located in a beautiful building with stunning skylights allowing the sunshine to stream in while you're enjoying a steaming cup of earl grey.  If you haven't been, please go soon, I beg of you!  Pick me up a box of violet and rose creams while you're there ;)

Where is your favorite place for Afternoon Tea?



13 comments:

ABowlOfMush said...

I've been to Betty's loads, love it! Your pictures are beautiful :)

My favorite place for afternoon tea, in England at least is definitely Fortnum & Mason in London!

Jules said...

We had Afternoon Tea in Little Bettys in York a few years back for our wedding anniversary. Loved it! We couldn't finish all the cakes so had to take them away in a doggy bag with us.
I love the look of the beetroot sandwich.

How To Be Perfect said...

Your right that savory selection looks to die for but everything else is adorable too. I love afternoon tea at Fortum and Mason but will happily have afternoon tea anywhere that's on offer. x

Jacqueline said...

Oh my, what a treat and I am now going to be obsessed by goats cheese and beetroot sandwiches until I have one.

Becky said...

I love Betty's and Jesmond Dene House, but there are so many places in Northumberland I want to try. Fortnum and Mason's was lovely too.

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) said...

What a gorgeous little place with yummy treats. I've never heard of marzipan cauliflower...

Heaven is a Cupcake said...

Afternoon tea is the best thing ever and that looks sooo good!

Helen said...

I love betty's! I used to visit all the time when my friend lived in York. Fat rascals yum yum.

the REAL girl said...

I just LOVE afternoon tea!! One of my favorites in the states is Paris in a Cup, located in Old Town Orange, California!

camelia said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Kevin and Julie's Blog said...

I just moved to Newcastle 2 months ago and my mom is coming to visit in a week and wants go to to a nice tea. Where should we go???

Katiecakes said...

In Newcastle I would recommend Jesmond Dene House or the Vermont Hotel on the Newcastle Quayside :) Both amazing but my fave is Jesmond!

Katie xox

Krystle & Felicity said...

Betty's is the best place I've been to for Afternoon Tea so far. They have a simple presentation and good food with good ingredients too. Last summer we went to Laduree which has incredible presentation but lacked a little on the food. Laduree was nice but far too sweet and the sandwiches weren't freshly made (they felt and tasted as though they'd be made at 6am in bulk).
x