15 Feb 2011

Be My Valentine

Valentines Day isn't really a big deal to us.  Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the sentiment and quite frankly found myself annoyed at all of the 'urgh, screw valentines, be nice 365 days a year not just one' messages spewed all over the Internet.  I just feel that Valentines day is probably more poignant for couples new to the world, those who grasp any and every opportunity to show the world how much they care for each other, and I think that's sweet.  To me, Valentines day is just an excuse to make a fancier than usual dinner, so that's exactly what I did!


We started with a goats cheese and roasted red pepper tower with pesto reduced olive oil and balsamic glaze.


Followed by pan fried fillet steak served on creamed peas with pommes Anna.  Served rare, of course.


Completed by a pretty cliched, but delicious chocolate fondant with warmed raspberries and vanilla cream.

**************

 As Kris was working at the studio most of yesterday we decided to take a little trip out to The Side Gallery to see a very moving photographic exhibition detailing life in a Polish ghetto during the Holocaust, very sad but I highly recommend going to see it. We then jaunted across the bridge to The Baltic to make up for me spending the majority of yesterday home alone.  Unfortunately for us, most of the floors were closed for exhibit changeover, reopening on Friday.  Good job the shop is always entertaining.



I'm always a little obsessed with the mottled mirrored ceilings in the foyer.


Just as I am with the rusted walls outside. Kinda want to lick them.... is that wrong?


But I have to admit, my favorite part of Valentines day was when my true love came home from work with a stunning Mulberry Oversized Alexa just for me! He's a keeper!


I hope you all had a wonderful Valentines Day spent with the people you love most, be it your other half, your family, best friends or even your faithful kitty cats.  I know I did! 

15 comments:

lucyadlington said...

You look so lovely! x

Alice said...

Beautiful photos, I'm incredibly jealous of the Alexa! Still saving for mine :(

xx

Cake Poppins said...

Great photos! I got my Valentine's kiss from William, my handsome tuxedo boy. It's lovely to find someone else in Newcastle who loves cakes and cats!
Kate

daisychain said...

good lord could you be any more stunning?! WOW.

My Bestfriend's Little Sister(MBLS) said...

Love it!

Диана said...

you are very beautiful!!!

E is for Eleanor said...

Woah! What an amazing day you had, it all looks beatiful, as do you! x

StyleFrost said...

Love photo exhibitions, that meal looks lovely! lucky you with the alexa! x

Rachel said...

I totally agree with your views on Valentine's Day!! I don't hate it (even though I am single at the moment), but I'm not super enthusiastic about it ever either. Your dinner looks absolutely scrumptious though!! And you're beautiful!

Anyway, I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Rachel, your partner for the tacky souvenir swap :) Nice to meet you! Do you have any special requests?? I've got heaps of souvenirs from the states, so if there's anywhere you're particularly interested in let me know :) Have a lovely day!

Katiecakes said...

Ahh shucks! You're all too kind! I've always been kinda shy about posting my lil mush on here but I just thought screw it!

xoxo

Tereza said...

Your dinner looks amazing!! and lucky you with that gorgeous purse!

AzaharaJS said...

OMG, your blog is so sweet, very interesting, but you must have a fashion blog.
You have a very pretty vintage style.
If you decide to "made" this blog, let me know, please.

kisses
AzaharaJS

Katie S said...

Oh my gosh the Main course is my perfect type of dinner! How long did it take to cook and how did you make the potatoes? YUUUUMMMMM!! I want to make it for myself! Haha xxx

Katiecakes said...

Hi Katie! All the recipes I used are from a cookbook called Oldfields, A Passion for Real Food. It's from a restaurant in Durham :)

The steak dish was SO easy! All you do it saute some chopped onions in a saucepan till soft then add frozen peas and around 300ml of double cream and heat. The potatoes are sliced real thin, cooked in a little butter for 5 minutes then piled up in a chefs ring or a buttered ramekin and cooked for 45 minutes. Super easy and super impressive!

xoxo

Katie S said...

Oh my, thank you! I'm going to attempt it for dinner next week!!! Thank you!! xxx