11 Feb 2011

Glitter Jam Cookies


 Those of you who follow me on twitter will probably remember my excited tweets about this awesome product I discovered while in London.  I was browsing the Harrods food hall, oohing and ahhing at every little mouthwatering morsel I came across when something stopped me in my tracks.  Harrods limited edition glittery jam!  What can I say, this jam is pure and indulgent genius!  I never would have thought to create something so decedent in a million years, I just had to have some.  I would have bought the whole selection of flavours if it hadn't have been priced at £9.95 per jar.  After a while I decided that £20 was quite enough to be spending on glamorous preserves and left with two jars flavoured with Strawberry and Rose.


I've been waiting for the perfect time to use these beautiful jams.  Time after time I've had to beat Kris' hands away from the jar at breakfast time. Something this lovely simply can not be used for something so mediocre as spreading on your toast!  So, what better time to break them open than valentines?



Jammy Dodger Cookies

Ingredients:
425 g plain flour
75 g caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest, from 1 large lemon
4 egg yolks
325 g butter, softened
raspberry or strawberry jam 
icing sugar, for dusting 

Method:
Preheat oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
 
Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest, egg yolks and butter. Mix with an electric food mixer or a wooden spoon until it comes together as a dough. Remove from the bowl and flatten with a rolling pin or the palm of your hand to about 2cm (3/4in) thick. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
 
Remove the dough from the fridge and place on a lightly floured work surface. Roll the dough out to about 1/4in thick.
 
Using a 6cm plain biscuit cutter, cut the dough into discs. Or, if you're feeling saucy you could use any old cookie cutter you have to hand, hearts, stars, flowers or even teacups!  Whatever your heart desires :)
 
Take half the discs, and using either a cutter smaller than the one you just used, cut holes from the centre. Bring the scraps together and roll out to make more shapes, and cut holes in the centre of these. You should end up with about 35 whole cookies and 35 cookies with the centres cut out.
 
Place the discs on baking trays (you will need a few baking trays) and bake for 8-10 minutes until pale golden. Allow to stand for a few minutes, then remove from the trays and transfer to wire racks to cool.
 
When the cookies are cool, spread 1tsp of jam on the bottom half and sandwich together with the top section.
Dust with icing sugar and serve with a pot of your favorite tea. 

12 comments:

Alice said...

LOVE these!! And still desperate for some of that jam.

Make me some for Valentines? I might have to get my boy to commission you!

Alice x

tam said...

Wow my mouth is watering, I need one of those now please! I would have definitely bought that jam if I had seen it, I'm a sucker for anything like that! x x

daisychain said...

I might have to make some of these minus the glitter jam, sadly!

Eliana said...

These look incredible. And I love the glitter jam.

The Urban Baker said...

these are beautiful!

Chele said...

What a cancept, loving the glitter jam ... it just doesn't get much more girly than that ;0)

LadyA said...

NJAMI!!!

Диана said...

I want these cookies)))))

Siobhan said...

Beautiful biscuits! I can't believe that you can buy glittery jam, whatever will Harrods think of next...xx

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) said...

Gorgeous! These would be yummy with a cup of tea

Cousin B said...

I LOVE Harrods! These are beautiful. Wish I would've seen this glittery jam when I was there.

Krystle & Felicity said...

Oh! These are a definite must for my girlfriend. I'm planning a champagne afternoon tea and these would be perfect with heat shaped scones, strawberry tarts and savoury muffins!