24 Feb 2011

Spicy Cheese Scones

For the past week I have had an intense craving for warm cheese scones.  I'm sure you're all aware that there isn't much worse in life than a bland supermarket scone, so there was only one option. Get my tush in the kitchen and bake my own.  


Luckily I'd just been up to my favorite farm shop for a big slab of delicious and extra strong Snowdonia Little Black Bomber cheese. Oh I do love a strong cheese.  I often mourn the loss of the olde stylee dairy they used to run at Beamish. They did a cheese so strong it could pull the gums over your teeth, sigh.


 The best thing about this recipe is it contains no butter which I'm quite sure means they're good for you...right?  So, if you want delicious and light scones in a hurry, this is for you!


Spicy Cheese Scones

Ingredients:

250g self raising flour
3tsp baking powder
large pinch salt
sprinkle of cayenne pepper/chilli powder (optional but recommended)
200g strong cheddar cheese, grated
3tsp vegetable oil
125 ml milk (maybe a bit more depending on how it mixes)
1 large, free range egg

Method:
 
Preheat oven to 180C and grease a large baking tray.

Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne pepper into a large bowl. Add the cheese and mix through the flour mixture. 

Beat the egg and milk together in a separate bowl and add the oil. The oil replaces the butter/margarine that usually gets used to rub into the flour. By using the oil you cut down on the dreaded calories and it saves a lot of time. 

Pour the milk/egg/oil mixture into the flour mixture and using a metal spoon / fork, mix the dough until it clumps together, but is not too dry. If too dry, splash a bit more milk in to use up the flour. 

Press the dough out on a flat clean floured surface until it is about 5mm thick, then fold it over ontop of itself (this gives the finished scones the natural "break" to cut open), flatten it again, using the palm of your hand. Do not use a rolling pin as it is too heavy and will prevent the scones from rising. 

Cut out your scones out by using a round cutter (you decide on the size) or if you don't have a cutter handy use a drinking glass. Place them on a baking tray and brush them with a little milk, pop them in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.  Serve, still warm, with lashings of butter, cheese, jams and honey.

14 comments:

How To Be Perfect said...

I love cheese scones and yours look brilliant, so yummy. x

tam said...

I can't eat cheese these days and don't miss it really other than in cheese scones! I love love love cheese scones! They look delicious x x

Antonia said...

I am now also craving cheese scones. These look so good - would love one with a big bowl of soup. Good that they don't contain butter though I know I'd undo all the goodness by smearing a great blob of salted butter in the middle. Naughty me!

daisychain said...

I love cheese scones, in fact I was also craving them the other day but lacked the ingredients. Will be making these as my Dad loves them for work!

Jacqueline said...

Your scones look gorgeous and they have risen beautifully. Pity I finished my soup earlier today, These would have gone with it perfectly :)

camelia said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Helen said...

Ooh I may try these at the weekend! And yes, I agree these must be healthy because there's no butter so you can eat twice as much haha

Mary said...

Hola soy de EspaƱa y me gusta mucho tu blog tienes cosas muy bonitas felicidades
Te dejo mi blog para que me conozcas

http://mary505.blogspot.com/

diaryofamadhausfrau.com said...

I love this idea. These scones look mouth watering good.

Katiecakes said...

They really are super good. You'd never guess there's no butter! But I do recommend going easy on the pepper. I was a little heavy handed and boy are they spicy!

Katie xox

C said...

Oh yum. I don't think it's fair that I'm now craving cheese scones too ;-) yours look beautifully light and well risen.

Maria♥ said...

I love scones but have never tried the cheese version. These look and sound very yummy!

Maria
x

My Bestfriend's Little Sister(MBLS) said...

They look lovely, and you're not alone I absolutely hate superstore scones.

jessica january said...

this is suuper cute! loves

january, x
jessicajanuary.com