25 Mar 2011

Grand Day Out

At last, the clouds are gone and the sun is shining in Newcastle! To celebrate Kris and I dragged our neglected bikes from the shed and dusted them off ready for their first outing of 2011.  I'm sad to say my basket perished in that horrid, spider ridden little hut but worry not, a new one is on order!


After twenty minutes of trying to fit the bikes into the car we were on our way to The Derwent Walk in Rowlands Gill, a lovely little cycle train littered with lakes, swans and lush forests.


I jumped on my bike and after a bit of a wobbly start I started thinking I'd forgotten how to ride. But just like the old saying goes, I quickly found my balance and started riding as fast as I could over the wonky trails.  I forgot how much fun it was to speed through the country side, wind in your hair without a care in the world.  I'll be spending a whole lot of my summer on my little rust bucket :)


We stopped for a picnic of sushi and fruit provided by Marks and Spencers before having a hike around this adorable little waterfall. So cute until I almost fell in.


Eventually, Kris' lack of gears on his BMX got the better of us and we loaded the bikes back into the car, off in search of the perfect cup of tea!  We decided upon Stewart and Co which is situated in the Newcastle City Library.  Anywhere that serves Ringtons Tea is A OK with me.


The selection of cakes on offer was outstanding.  I'm a huge fan of veggies in cakes and Stewart and Co certainly deliver!  I sampled the parsnip and lime cake while Kris tried out the beetroot chocolate all washed down with a cup of Ringtons! Delicious!


I would recommend Stewart and Co but I'm still searching for that perfect cup of tea and slice of cake in Newcastle.

Got any recommendations?

10 comments:

Georgia said...

I used to live right near to where you cycled. We called it the tellytubby hills haha.

Me and my cousins went down the river right next to that waterfall in an inflatable boat once. It was the most dangerous thing ever. xxxx

ellieand said...

Your bike is so cute! I've always wanted a vintage-style model, but have to put up with a horrible bright pink and purple number...ew!

The cake sounds amazing, i've never had parsnip cake before, but if it's anywhere near as nice as carrot cake then I'm there!
x

Becky said...

That cafe looks wonderful! Always on the look out for nice places in Newcastle for when I go up to visit my Mam :)

Helen said...

I visited that cafe when I went to Newcastle library :) it is a lot better than the cafe in my library hehe. Love your dress too and how long is your hair!

daisychain said...

wow, grand day out indeed! I'm quite jealous x

Katiecakes said...

Ellie - It's lovely! Not as nice as carrot cake but I'm a carrot cake fiend. Was really tasty though :)

Helen - Haha, I certainly do have a lot of hair! It's awfully misbehaved too :p

Katie xox

lucyadlington said...

I posted about beaches & cream near tynemouth, but alas I am the same as you for Newcastle. I usually end up in Starbucks for the gluten free cakes! There must be one hiding somewhere...

Katiecakes said...

Lucy - I loved your post on Beaches and Cream. I simply must go asap! Think I might drag my BF on Tuesday for some yummy tea and cake!

xoxo

Alice said...

I love your photos Katie, absolutely gorgeous! What about Cafe Royal on Nelson Street? They have lovely food there.

Alice xx

Katiecakes said...

I often walk by that cafe but I've never been in. I might drop by next time i'm in town and give it a whirl :)

xoxo