2 Mar 2011

Lavender Shortbread

During a recent visit to Northallerton for my Betty's Cauliflower Cake fix I discovered the most amazing Deli, Lewis and Cooper. Among the fabulous treats I piled into my basket was a tiny jar of edible lavender.  I've been searching local foodie hotspots for this delicious grandma inspired treat for months so I was ecstatic to finally bring my search to an end.



After some deliberation I decided to turn my delicate dried buds into the lavender scented shortbread from one of my most favoured cookbooks Eat Me.



To give them a more delicate flavour I decided to grind the lavender buds with the sugar rather than chopping them. I felt a scent of the flower would be better than having to pick the buds out of your teeth.


Lavender Scented Cookies

Ingredients:

110g unsalted butter
55g caster sugar
170g plain flour
1tsp dried edible lavender or 2tbs of fresh - roughly chopped

Method:

Preheat oven to 200C and grease a large baking sheet.

Cream together the butter and sugar till pale and fluffy. Stir in the flour and lavender and bring together in a soft ball.  Wrap in cingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Using a pretty cutter, stamp out biscuits reroling the scraps when necessary. Place on the baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for around 10 minutes or until lightly golden.

Leave the biscuits on the baking sheet to cool for 5 minutes before transfering to a wire rack.

Once cooled, I dipped the biscuits in lavender chocolate and dusted the with some pretty pink sprinkes.  Enjoy with a cup of earl grey tea.



19 comments:

Maria♥ said...

Katie, these are so adorable!

Maria
x

Antonia said...

How beautiful! I've not heard of lavender chocolate - that sounds interesting.

that kate said...

The look amazing!

Rachel Lucas said...

I was recently sent a pack of culinary lavender too...I used to make these biscuits a lot & am so happy to be able to do so again!! Yours look lovely, I really like the way you finished them with sprinkles! My bakery customers are a suspicious lot though & I find they don't sell well...but I adore them and so does everyone once they try them! xo Rachel

daisychain said...

I have that book, it's so beautifully written! I can't stand lavender, edible or not so I won't be making these, although yours look divine.

Tereza said...

they are very cute!

Chele said...

Isn't 'Eat Me' amazing! Love the book and with results like this it is obvious why. Lovely photo's Katie.

How To Be Perfect said...

Beautiful cookies and lovely pics too! x

C said...

They look lovely - neat and beautifully decorated, and a good tip about grinding the buds with sugar, I hadn't thought of that!

Butter Hearts Sugar said...

They are so perfect and pretty, I love the sound of lavender scented.

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

I collect it in the garen in summer and dry it out. I do the same with the rosemary. Keeps beautifully.

Nice photos :-)

Katiecakes said...

I tried to grow it last year but it never flowered. Going to have another go this year :)

Katie xox

Helen said...

Ooh these look gorgeous! I really want to make some shortbread now. I wonder where I could get some dried lavender from near here hmmm...

cinabar said...

I love the idea of fragrancing the shortbread with lavender - and your biscuits look beautiful x

ellieand said...

I've never tried anything lavender flavoured before but the whole dipped-in-chocolate-thing miiight just persuade me ;)
x

Hannah said...

so these are like the cutest biscuits ever


Bow Dream Nation xx

are you dressing up or dressing down said...

how cute are these.

Helen, X
http://areyoudressingupordressingdown.blogspot.com

MissCakeBaker said...

These are so pretty.

http://whatibakedthisweekend.blogspot.com

Loopylars said...

Lewis and Coopers is great!! not the best cake making section but theres Lakeland for that!

Hello from a fellow Northerner (who is currently in Cornwall for the summer!) Love the blog

Lara xxx