photo m

Pages

26 Mar 2011

More Macarons

I've been craving macarons like crazy recently.  Sadly, there doesn't seen to be anywhere in Newcastle which stocks a decent macaron.  So, I was reduced to making my own.  Usually I'm not a fan of making macarons, I just hate wasting all those egg yolks so when I discovered you could purchase cartons of Two Chicks egg whites in my local Waitrose I was overjoyed.  


I was a little apprehensive at first, I mean egg whites in a carton? Gross!  My apprehension was short lived, these whites are of great quality and whisk up perfectly.  I was blown away, I am now a full Two Chicks convert!


Multicoloured Macarons
From Delicious Magazine

Ingredients

175g icing sugar
125g ground almonds
3 large free-range egg whites
75g caster sugar

Method

 Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3. Whizz the icing sugar and ground almonds in a food processor to a very fine mixture, then sift into a bowl. 

In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt to soft peaks, then gradually whisk in the caster sugar until thick and glossy. (At this point you can stir in flavour extract, such as peppermint or lemon, and corresponding colouring such as blue or yellow, to your meringue mixture, depending on what kind of macaroons you want – see chef's tip. Or divide the meringue among different bowls if you want to make more than one colour.) 

Fold half the almond and icing sugar mixture into the meringue and mix well. Add the remaining half, making sure you use a spatula to cut and fold the mixture until it is shiny and has a thick, ribbon-like consistency as it falls from the spatula. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle. 

Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper. Pipe small rounds of the macaroon mixture, about 3cm across, onto the baking sheets. Give the baking sheets a sharp tap on the work surface to ensure a good ‘foot’. Leave to stand at room temperature for 10-15 minutes to form a slight skin. This is important – you should be able to touch them lightly without any mixture sticking to your finger. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool. 




 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

17 comments:

Hayley said...

These look delicious, so pretty too! x

Canada said...

These look fab! I love the colours as well -mine tend to be pretty pastels, but I really like the look of brightly coloured macarons.

I like making them, I've mastered them in the oven at work, but can't get them to work in the ovens at college, go figure!

What did you fill these with? You could use your yolks to make a nice buttercream...

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

I made some pistachio ones from the Delicious magazine about a year ago. They came out lovely when it was still my first attempt at macarons.

I had the pleasure of eating some of Tim Kinnaird's (Masterchef 2010 runner up) macarons from Wymondham Farmers Market last week and very good they were too. Olive had a VERY large chocolate brownie !

Your macarons look very pretty. Love the summery colours

Sarah-Jane
www.siliconemoulds.com

nyanyels said...

These look delicious. I love the colours.
Hugs!

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) said...

Yes, I can't say the idea of potentially wasting those egg whites excites me either. Gosh, your images of these macarons are gorgeous though! I love the colours and the lighting.

Helen said...

I saw about the egg white cartons in Olive magazine! They are a great idea for when you're making macaroons or meringues, I hate wasting the yolks but I can never be bothered to make custard or anything with them.

diaryofamadhausfrau.com said...

Very beautiful macarons. Lovely colors.

Siobhan said...

These are so beautiful! I've been trying to make my own vegan versions but with little sucess. Yours look perfect though.

Manderley said...

I love it!

xo

enjoy your life said...

This is very nice blog i like your blog so very much all post are looking so very nice and i want to share something new about your kids. Kids fairy land leading kids entertainment company and provide your kids birthday party characters and also provide clowns Miami for your kids birthday and you get kids birthday party ideas form kids fairy land come in this point and enjoy your kids party

anenthusiast said...

Love your pretty blog and fab piccies. Making me hungry...time for a piece of cake and a cuppa!

[Anna] said...

Omg they look perfect! You must have crazy baking skills going on there! And thank you for the recipe! I'm going to attempt to make these when i'm brave enough!

BigBearswife said...

Your Macarons are so pretty! great color combo and the cookies looks so nice!!

SMS Style said...

I love it! Never followed a food blog before, but this is a welcome exception :)

Massive macaroon fan but they are terribly overpriced in London and so it is really great to find a good recipe.

Have a look at my page if you like: http://tinyurl.com/6zlr2g2

love, Anna xxx
southmoltonststyle.blogspot.com

Fiolunka said...

Woow! They're sooo cute :) Looks really delicious!

Becca said...

Have been wanting to try to make macarons recently and yours are so pretty that they have inspired me to give them a go!

Claudia said...

Your Macarons are so pretty! great color combo and the cookies looks so nice!! . Thanks for Sharing.
3D ultrasounds | 4d Ultrasounds