photo m

Pages

6 Apr 2011

Afternoon Tea: Harvey Nichols

I've recently realised I've become rather reliant on Newcastle, always thinking we have everything I need five minutes from my house.  I was reluctant to travel to different cities simply for the purpose of shopping, often falling back on the same excuses, "We have everything in Newcastle and what we don't have I can get online." But after the millionth amble through the same old shops, seeing the same old faces going about their same old business I grew tired.  I jumped out of bed on our one and only day off together, bright and early much to Kris' dismay, and announced we were getting dressed, filling the car up and going to Leeds for the day.  It had nothing to do with the fact I noticed they were doing a Royal Wedding Afternoon Tea all throughout the month of April. How dare you suggest such a thing.......












The cake selection was utterly delectable becoming a close second to the selection offered at The Ritz.  But lets face it, afternoon tea at the Ritz is the afternoon tea against which all other afternoon teas should be measured!

In the same breath, I have to admit the sandwiches were very disappointing.  They consisted of cream cheese and cucumber, smoked salmon and ham and tomato.  The bread was soggy, tomatoes were a little on the furry side and the cucumber (which I know is traditionally British) left a lot to be desired.  Also, the menu stated a selection of preserves were to be offered with the solitary scone, sadly I was presented with a single pot of strawberry jam, if you ask me, raspberry would not have gone a miss here.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

20 comments:

Eliana said...

Looks incredible Katie!

Lester Fontayne said...

Afternoon Tea at HN is perfectly fine but in no way comparable to The Ritz or any of the other top hotels in London. Let's face it, a couple of bite-size brownie/muffin cakes and a meringue hardly qualifies as patisserie. What particularly irks me about their offering, though, is the ridiculous mini scone. Pointless. Give me a proper scone - that's what Afternoon Tea is all about! (Although they do use Lescure butter, which is to be applauded.)

Still, £15 for an hour or two on their balcony on a sunny afternoon ain't too bad.

Katiecakes said...

Obviously tea at The Ritz is not to be compared with this one, what I'm saying is the cakes were some of the best I've tasted other than at The Ritz. They were very delicious!

Everything else was a bit on the dull side, I was especially disappointed with the sandwiches. Soggy bread makes me cry!

xox

jessica january said...

aww it looks so cute and incredibly delicious!! are they doing it at all the harvey nichols'? i'm in edinburgh and harvey nichols is a mere 10 mins walk from the front door of my flat!!... i may just have to check this out!


january, x
jessicajanuary.com

frocksandgiggles said...

Yeah, the cakes look so yummy - I may have to pop into Harvey Nicks in Edinburgh!

Lulú~ ♥ said...

Mmmmm, It looks really delicious! And the muffins looks very spongy! ♥♥♥♥♥♥ I would like to go a afternoon tee... It's so cute!


Love

Sally - My Custard Pie said...

They definitely don't do this kind of tea in Harvey Nichols in Dubai! It would be worth going for the Skate Middleton and Quince William alone

Becky said...

I feel the same about Newcastle a lot of the time, Leeds is much better! This all looks delicious, shame about the sandwiches though.

Canada said...

The photos look amazing anyway!

I can tell you from the other side of the kitchen -afternoon teas, in the places that I've worked anyway, are often created as kind of an afterthought to the rest of the menu, and as a pastry chef, you really need to fight to be able to offer a good afternoon tea. Maybe there's a bit of that going on in the kitchen here?

In any case... I love the idea of a royal wedding afternoon tea!!

normalityandme said...

Quince William... you gotta laugh though!
Shame about the sarnies but great pics.
Em x

vodkainteacups.com said...

All of the cakes look delicious, and I love Skate Middleton & Quince William :D

Caz said...

That food looks so good, i'd love to try it!
It's a shame about the sandwiches though :( xx

Sarù @ Dolci Creativi said...

Hi Katie!
I found your blog through google because I was searching a tutorial for a bow.
I find it! But mostly I found a great blog with wonderful photos and ideas from a beautiful blogger woman! I like your style! ;)

From now I'm your follower.
I don't want to miss anything from you!

See you soon!
xoxox

anenthusiast said...

Mouthwatering piccies! I once went to the Pret a Portea at The Berkeley and that was utterly wonderful. In fact it kind of trounced tea at the Ritz! Check out the website- such inspirational treats.

SMS Style said...

Oooh well the photos look yummy. HN is Leeds is nicer than the one in London - minus all the foreign money and true Southern snobbery! But if you are after an amazing afternoon tea - come down to London and go to the Charlotte Street Hotel or the Sanderson and have the Mad Hatters Tea Party :)

southmoltonststyle.blogspot.com
xxx

Katiecakes said...

Thanks for the wonderful tips! I'm down in London in July to see Weezer. I was planning on booking tea at The Savoy but I love the sound of the Mad Hatters Tea Party!

Katie xox

Hayley said...

Oh those cakes look so good!!

Helen said...

Hmm yum! I wouldn't expect to see whoopie pies on an afternoon tea though. I guess it proves they are trendy! Haha. Shame about the sandwiches, I always find them a bit disappointing when compared to the cakes anyway.

Janice said...

How fabulously decadent of you! Enjoyed reading about your Royal Tea, cheers m'dear!

Softwarellc said...

Hey guys i feel hungry ...hmmm
hotels leeds