1 Apr 2011

Cherry Coke Cupcakes


 I've been itching to make Nigella Lawsons Coca Cola Cupcakes for quite some time now, so when I saw Confessions of a Cookbook Queen had blogged some stunning Cherry Coke Cupcakes I just had to give them a try!  Although I didn't use the recipes featured on that blog I decided to use her cakes as my decorating inspiration.


These cupcakes are simply amazing! The coke flavour really comes through in the sponge, the cherry frosting is just to die for and the less I say about the cola glaze the better (I was reduced to eating it with a spoon, enough said).


If you don't already own this book I would highly recommend picking it up. It really is Nigellas best work and it's probably one of my most used cookbooks! I mean, it's Nigella, would she ever steer us wrong?

Cherry Coke Cupcakes
(Adapted from How to be a Domestic Goddess)

Ingredients:

Cupcakes:
200g (7oz) plain flour - sieved
*250g (8.8oz) golden caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
125ml buttermilk (or 30g/1oz yogurt mixed with 100ml/3.3 Fluid oz of semi-skimmed milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
125g (4.4oz) unsalted butter
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
175ml (6 fluid oz) Coca-Cola

Frosting:
125g unsalted butter
500g icing sugar
50ml milk (more if needed)
1 small slug of syrup from a jar of morello cherries

Glaze:
225g (8oz) icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons of Coca-Cola
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (essence) 

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat the egg, buttermilk and vanilla in in a measuring jug. In a heavy-based saucepan, melt the butter, cocoa and Coca-cola, heating it gently. Pour into the dry ingredients, stir well with a wooden spoon, and then add the liquid ingredients from the jug, beating until it is well blended.

Pour into a muffin tin that has been greased or lined with papers and bake for 15 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.

For the frosting put the  unsalted butter into an electric mixer and begin to mix on a low speed.  Add the icing sugar by the spoonful, adding milk if the frosting becomes too dry.  Pour in a little of the cherry syrup and tint the frosting a pale pink. Leave to mix for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.

For the glaze sieve the icing sugar and set aside. In a heavy-based saucepan, combine the butter, Coca-Cola and cocoa and stir over a low heat until the butter has melted. Remove from the heat, add the vanilla, and spoon in the sieved icing sugar, beating as you do, until you’ve got a good, spreadable, but still runny, icing. Pour over the frosted cupcakes and allow to dribble do the sides a little.  Top with a gummy cola bottle and a cherry.

27 comments:

Abbie said...

Oooh! How delicious do these look! VERY!! I'm bookmarking this page for the next time I'm cupcake baking! :)

xx Abbie

nicsnotebook.com said...

Oh wow these look amazing!! I don't really like cherry flavours, so I might be better making the original cola ones!

jessica january said...

oh my!!! i am literally going to the shop today for the ingredients! these just sound way too good not to try!!!!



january, x
jessicajanuary.com

haribohats said...

I am a bit obssessed with cherry coke and cake separately, so together...Can't wait to give these a try!

Sally - My Custard Pie said...

Very pretty photographs - love the flowers in the background.

Me and My Pink Mixer said...

So pretty! These cupcakes are definitely on my "to make" list now too.

Gayatri Kumar said...

Oh yum! Nigella is awesome with really great shortcuts and methods as good as traditional ones! I've been using coca-cola in my cakes since the age of 12 -according to my Aunt its an old family secret :P

Cola works as a great substitute for baking powder!

xx G

that kate said...

These sound like the best cup cakes ever!

Michelle of The Feather Den said...

Oh, my. They look absolutely incredible, and I'm definitely curious to taste a coke-flavoured cupcake! Especially if they look that good!

x Michelle
http://www.thefeatherden.net

daisychain said...

Oh goodness, I'm drooling at the thought!

LulĂș~ ♥ said...

Hi! I'm Spanish and I REALLY love ur blog. U bake the cutest cupcakes I'd seen in all my life!


I'm ur follower because I love your cupcakes!

Sorry, but I'm not English and it's a bit difficult write some words... And the Google's translator is very bad ;)

Love!

perfectlycasual said...

Thanks for the post! These look so amazing. I absolutely love that cake stand

Petra said...

Oh my, they look so cute and yummie!! I have to try them too :)

vodkainteacups said...

I can hardly type, my fingers are drowning in a puddle of drool. I would eat EVERY LAST ONE.
xo

Alice Media // Alice Magazine said...

Hi Katie - going to make these with my little girl at the weekend. The cola she is allowed!!! x

blogvanfem said...

It looks delicous!

Emily said...

Ohh I wish I hadn't found this! Everyone whinges at me for drinking too much coke as it is, now I'll be making cakes out of it!

Adore your blog, would you consider doing an icing piping tutorial? Yours always looks so perfect! Mine ends up looking a disaster! xo

What To Wear said...

OMG. That's it, I'm busy tonight - I'm going to be making these.

Love you work :)

xx

http://weathertowear.com/London/

Maria♥ said...

Oh wow, these look amazing! Never tried this recipe by Nigella but that might have to change :)

Maria
x

MiaDeRoca said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe, I will definitely save it (I am still not too sure, as I am the only one in the family who does not like coke that much).
Your pictures are absolutely fabulous. I will spend hours on your blog I guess :-)

MiaDeRoca said...

don't know if my first comment got through...
Thanks for sharing the recipe (I am still not too convinced to use coke in a dough tough - not a soda pop lover anyway),
I totally adore your photos!
And I guess I will spend hours at your blog now.
Did I already say I am glad I found it :-)

Colleen said...

How many cupcakes does this make? I'm making them for a fundraiser bake sale and I want to know if I'll need to make two batches or just one...

Katiecakes said...

Hi Colleen, the batch makes 12 cupcakes :)

xoxo

Haley McAdams said...

Amazing cupcakes! It never occurred to me about using Coke as an ingredient in baking. Thanks for the recipe! Gonna make this before getting my TABC Certification Online..

katie said...

just made these and is the mix suppose to be so runny?
almost to the consistence of a melting mcdonalds thick shake?
guess ill find out in 15mins, when they are ready.

Gemma Summersby said...

Just made these and while they look NOTHING like yours (My icing went a bit... eeek! haha!) they taste gorgeous and were a big hit with my kids. Have linked your blog in my blog post, hope that's ok :)

htttp://mamabearjolu.blogspot.co.uk

Maria Hewitt said...

Hi, I made these cupcakes to bring to a work lunch today and they are so delicious!

I doubled the quantities to make 18 regular cupcakes and 36 minature ones. Don't think I needed double the icing or glaze as I have enough left over now to do another batch - something my husband is very happy about. :-)

For such a wet mix, the cakes sure are light and super moist.

Great blog. I shall be browsing your other recipes.