photo m

Pages

14 Apr 2011

Two Tiered Cake

A few weeks ago we got our first order for a two tiered cake. I read the comment on our facebook page a few times, going over the logistics of two inexperienced with fondant girls making this a success.  After my seventh re read I finally decided to hell with it, lets give this a shot!  If we remain in our comfort zones how are we ever to grow as bakers.  Unfortunately, when taking the order I didn't factor in the fact it was ordered for the same weekend as our biggest fair of the year.  Cue a slightly bald Katie with a fierce twitch in her eye. 

In usual Pet Lamb style we split the jobs so we weren't too burdened with the task. Kay baked the two layer cakes and delivered them to my house for decoration.  Thank god for ready rolled fondant icing is all I can say!


I followed the instructions for decoration in Baking Made Easy by Lorraine Pascale and it turned out to be quite a simple task.  Sure there's plenty of room for improvement but for a first attempt I'm pretty proud of what we accomplished.  Especially considering our kitchens are currently coated in cupcake batter and buttercream.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

15 comments:

Lippylash said...

this looks so good!!! I want a slice :)

Lippylash.blogspot.com

Helen said...

that looks really good! I had to re-ice my sisters wedding cake for my nieces christening and it was HARD but I was glad I did it. Like you say, good to get out of your comofrt zone.

Cousin B said...

Very nice! Especially for a first.
FYI, In case you have any questions in the future, I am a Pastry Chef who specializes in fondant wedding cakes. Please feel free to contact me if I can help with construction or transportation questions of tiered cakes ok?

Maria♥ said...

Katie, the cake turned out gorgeous!

Maria
x

E is for Eleanor said...

Wow! It looks amazing! May have to call on you when I need a wedding cake hehe. x

SaraG83 said...

Perfect! I really like it :)

jessica january said...

it looks lovely!! i've never been corageous enough (yet) to try fondant, but i love lorraine pascale, she makes everything so simple and she's very good at explaining things... so i may just give it a go as well!
also, i'm going to attempt your cherry cola cupcakes tomorrows for my boyfriend's club night's 1st birthday party... i'm going to have to ice little wolves on all of the as the night's called wolf party.. haha... we'll see how i do! wish me luck!

january, x
jessicajanuary.com

Kate said...

Wow- that looks delicious! I'm sure the person who placed the order was dead chuffed with how it turned out

Kate

Kat said...

That looks great! I really want to try fondant decorating. I have the planet cake book which teaches you step by step starting with simple cupcakes and then working your way up to custom shaped cakes. I definitely need to get started on that!

Smaira said...

ahh its turned out lovely!! xx

vodkainteacups.com said...

Looks adorable AND delicious!
xo

welovefur said...

I'm so greedy and your blog is delicious.
I'm a blogger but fashion fur blogger take a look at my blog www.welovefur.blogspot.com
Gnammy gnammy
With love and chocolate :=)

Ivana said...

Ooooh, this looks so delicious and fairy-talesque! Makes me hungry :)

xx Ivana

http://styleinthecityen.blogspot.com

Ashlae said...

You should be very proud, that looks awesome! I have been meaning to make a cake covered with fondant, but I never have enough time to do the intricate work. Must do this soon!

FASHION ICE said...

that cake looks delish